lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Daddybear
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery Wiring Help

I have a 48v DS, and It looks like who ever had the cart before me may have wired something wrong? There is a red wire (assuming positive because of the fuse, also assuming headlights as there are no other accessories) that is wired to the negative of my last battery (on the positive side). There are also 2 negatives on the battery above (in the picture). I am correct that these are all wired wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB45B4E1-370E-4D94-9CB6-5861D8855954.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
Daddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Wiring Help

Can you get a photo of the whole compartment?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Need more info on the cart type and what accessories are wired. If it is only a light kit, their should be one negative ground connected to the pack ground and a positive input connected to a 12 or 16v source in the pack OR if you have a voltage reducer, the positive input should be at the 36 or 48v positive pack voltage terminal with the output from the reducer going to the light kit positive and negative in the harness.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Daddybear
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I can definitely get a picture of the whole compartment tomorrow. No voltage converter installed. The only accessory (other than a voltage meter, that I just installed) is the headlights. They are halogen, and are not very bright. Not sure though if this would explain why there are two negative wires on the other battery?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The smaller red wire going to pack +, is that your charging wire or for your meter?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Daddybear
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think that must be going to the charger, I ran the positive for my meter off of the key switch?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #7
Daddybear
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

These are of the whole battery compartment.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Can you get one photo of the WHOLE compartment?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The fun part about batteries in series is the terminals in the middle are all sort of "dual polarity".
The positive of one battery has the same potential as the negative of the battery before it.
The negative of the battery has the same potential as the positive of the next battery behind it.
You can connect a positive supply to the - terminal of a battery in series, that is the same as connecting it to the + of the next battery because of the cable between them. You have the same voltage on that cable either way.
So in your case, the red fused wire, whatever it is supplying, is likely providing 8 volts to it's circuit.
It's not ideal, nor preferable, but it works. Remove the fuse, and see if your lights don't work. Likely the two black wires connected together there are the ground wires for each light. They can not be grounded to the frame on an electric cart, so all grounds have to go back to the battery pack.

The small black wire that's on the last battery negative (rear left of the compartment) , where does that go? To your meter? That one should be fine.

The large red wire that comes from the first battery (rear right compartment) is the charge lead from the receptacle. That one is correct, and where it should be.

You would be well ahead to install a 48-12V reducer to provide proper 12v power for the lights. As it is they are drawing power from only one battery, and that will cause that battery to become out of balance with the rest of the pack. That one will be chronically undercharged, while the rest will be overcharged, and will cause the whole pack to be damaged.
It's also under-powering the lights. Not only makes them dim, but also can be a detriment to the halogen effect, which will cause them to burn out faster. Upgrading to LEDs would mean less draw, but without a 48-12 reducer you're still drawing power from only one battery.

Also some of those cable ends are looking pretty rough. Damaged cable ends are a source of resistance which will cause heat in the cables. That can burn the cables and can melt the battery posts and possibly cause damage to the battery. It would be a very good idea to replace the entire cable set. We have several site sponsors that sell pre-made cable sets that are very good quality.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What FT said. The reason I asked for the photo of the whole compartment is because it is too difficult to click on one, memorize that, go to the next etc.

There are other places to pick up pack - and + besides the batteries. I wanted to see the pack and see what you have there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car