lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
brettp2004
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v EZGO “bogs” down

I have a 36v 2002 ezgo (I believe it’s a TXT). I replaced all the batteries less than 6 months ago. Each battery is close to 6.4v after it’s been off the charger for 8 hours. My problem is, I’ll start going and it’ll loose power within 2 seconds of applying full pedal. Then it goes, but very slowly. I started with 38.5v and once it bogs down the pack voltage is still around 37.5v while goin slowly. My initial thought is a bad speed controller but I want to be sure before I drop $400 on one. Any help is greatly appreciated.
brettp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v RZGO “bogs” down

First tell us which drive type you have:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Also tell us what is stock and what is after market. Tire size, battery charger make/model, battery make/model.

Batteries are six months old. Did you break them in properly? Do you charge after each and every time you drive it? Did it do this with the old batteries? Did the new batteries work at first then start acting up? Did you make any modifications?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v EZGO “bogs” down

Can you put a voltmeter on the pack and see what the voltage reading is dropping to under load?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettp2004 View Post
Each battery is close to 6.4v after it’s been off the charger for 8 hours. My problem is, I’ll start going and it’ll loose power within 2 seconds of applying full pedal. Then it goes, but very slowly. I started with 38.5v and once it bogs down the pack voltage is still around 37.5v while goin slowly.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
brettp2004
Not Yet Wild

Mostly everything is stock. The batteries are super start batteries. It was working fine with the new batteries for several months. I broke them in properly and after break in I charge every few uses. I use it just for around the neighborhood so it doesn’t get ran for long distances. Battery charger is ezgo brand, not sure of model. Voltage only drops 1-2v when under load.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
brettp2004
Not Yet Wild

Also. Sepex system.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettp2004 View Post
Mostly everything is stock. The batteries are super start batteries. It was working fine with the new batteries for several months. I broke them in properly and after break in I charge every few uses. I use it just for around the neighborhood so it doesn’t get ran for long distances. Battery charger is ezgo brand, not sure of model. Voltage only drops 1-2v when under load.
Again, make and model. Super Start sure sounds like cranking batteries, which will not last very long at all, and may explain what you're experiencing. Cranking batteries are meant to output highish amperage for a few seconds, then are recharged. Deep cycle batteries have to be specifically for golf carts, as they are expected to output hundreds of amps for extended periods of time.

EDIT:

https://superstart.com.au/?SID=6ej1l...6fb8qfstktl1u4 does mention golf cart batteries, but most of them appear to be gas cart cranking batteries.

I can't help you with a SepEx cart. Can you tell the group which SepEx drive you have? It's either DCS or PDS, unless the year eliminates one.

I found this: https://superstart.com.au/gc6v225ah-...d-battery.html

So I stand corrected, as long as you got one that has no CCA rating, but has an AH (20 hr) rating, you should be fine. The one I linked to is 225 AH, which is good.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
brettp2004
Not Yet Wild

Super start fleet and heavy duty. 75amp rating 120 min.
superstart gc110dt
Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

AGAIN, what is your model number? The one I posted is 225 AH (20 hr).

https://superstart.com.au/gc6v225ah-...d-battery.html

If you don't have electric golf cart batteries, they'll never perform.

EDIT: I missed you posted the model number. Gonna look it up.

Can't find "gc110dt". Maybe someone smarter than me can tell what, "75amp rating 120 min." means.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure from your first post exactly when the batteries are dropping to 37.5. The cart should still run fine at that voltage, but if they’re dropping that much as soon as it bogs down, which you said was pretty much immediately, you just might have a battery problem. Did you do what scottyb said and put the meter on them while trying to go? Get some alligator clips to hook the meter to the pack and try to drive the cart.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO