lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart or Charger Problem

I have 97 Club Car Series I’m having issues with.

I went to plug up my cart the other day and heard the charger relay click but did not start charging. The needle on the charger didn’t move and I couldn’t hear it humming.

I assumed I had gotten the pack too low to get the OBC to allow it to charge. Checked pack voltage and it was around 49v. So I borrowed a 24v charger and charged them in series in groups of 3. Got the pack voltage up to about 51v and plugged it in. Same thing, relay clicked but no charging.

So then I bypassed the OBC from negative pack to the charger, after verifying the gray wire fuse and charger port fuse still had continuity. Plugged it in and the charger came on! Great! Problem solved!

Nope! Charger stayed on for a minute or so and then quit. Didn’t come back on. I got frustrated with it and walked away.

This afternoon I decided to have another go at it. Pack was at 50v. Plugged the charger in and it started working, but then quit. I unplugged from the charger port and plugged it back in. Now I don’t even get the relay on the charger clicking.

I assume my issue is with the charger. The fuse on the outside is still good. Any idea where to look next?
gregahamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Cart or Charger Problem

Which charger do you have - Powerdrive, PD2 or PD3?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

It’s a PowerDrive 17930
gregahamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is the grey wire jumped to pack negative as well?
Sounds more like the OBC failed. The OBC tells the charger to turn on by activating the relay in the charger via the grey wire. It then controls charge current through an SCR circuit in the OBC via the black wire.
Jumping only the black wire to pack negative bypasses the OBC charge current control circuit. (Say that 5 times fast!) The OBC is still telling the charger to turn on or off, via the grey wire. It will not stay on for long if the OBC can’t detect that it’s actually charging (via black wire).

If you haven’t already, you need to jump the grey wire to the main pack negative and verify that the charger still works. It will run at full output and will not decrease amperage or turn off on its own, so you must unplug it to turn it off.
Charging that way is only a temporary solution and is not good for the pack.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car