lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #11
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48 to 12V reducer wiring

That's interesting. I would have thought that when the batteries are being charged the OBC charges them up and when they reach 64 or so volts the OBC shuts the charger off. I have a cheap 4 wire reducer with no key switch wire connected directly to the batts. Never a problem getting a resting pack voltage of 100% after charging.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
That's interesting. I would have thought that when the batteries are being charged the OBC charges them up and when they reach 64 or so volts the OBC shuts the charger off. I have a cheap 4 wire reducer with no key switch wire connected directly to the batts. Never a problem getting a resting pack voltage of 100% after charging.
SOC is 50.93 volts on a 48v pack. US's routinely will have over 51.7 volts 12 hours after charging. Some higher. An OBC senses the energy being used as it goes thru the Hall sensor of the OBC. It uses a method known as coulomb counting and in principle its purpose is to put back 110% energy units that were removed.

The amount of rise in the voltage of the Powerdrive is controlled by the OBC and is according to which phase of the charge sequence it is in. The OBC must see 58.3 volts or it will not turn off, so the Powerdrive can run up voltage from there to ~65+ volts.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
SOC is 50.93 volts on a 48v pack. US's routinely will have over 51.7 volts 12 hours after charging. Some higher. An OBC senses the energy being used as it goes thru the Hall sensor of the OBC. It uses a method known as coulomb counting and in principle its purpose is to put back 110% energy units that were removed.

The amount of rise in the voltage of the Powerdrive is controlled by the OBC and is according to which phase of the charge sequence it is in. The OBC must see 58.3 volts or it will not turn off, so the Powerdrive can run up voltage from there to ~65+ volts.
Do you recommend I change the connection points of my 2 battery leads that are currently connected directly to the pos and neg terminals? I drive my cart and recharge daily but not to much night driving so I'm not running the lights often. I just looked at my pack. Resting SOC is 50.9. That's with a hot 12v reducer running full time so it my have pulled it down some. Charger shut off last night sometime but not sure exactly when since I was not monitoring it.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If we are speaking of your reducer, it would benefit you more to get the Neg (-) lead over to B- at the controller so the OBC can account for its energy usage. The Pos (+) can run to the MPP post, but if you run it to the battery side large post at the solenoid, it cleans up the battery compartment and avoids corrosion on your connection.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If we are speaking of your reducer, it would benefit you more to get the Neg (-) lead over to B- at the controller so the OBC can account for its energy usage. The Pos (+) can run to the MPP post, but if you run it to the battery side large post at the solenoid, it cleans up the battery compartment and avoids corrosion on your connection.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
...snip...That's with a hot 12v reducer running full time so it my have pulled it down some. Charger shut off last night sometime but not sure exactly when since I was not monitoring it.
I know that a reducer with no external load will not pull a great deal of power but I always prefer to switch a reducer so that you are not pulling even that little bit from the batteries constantly. It also means that the reducer is likely to last longer if it is not on continually. I have my (4 wire) reducer connected through a relay which is controlled by the key switch so that it is not on all the time.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why can you just take the negative lead from the converter off of the battery, and run it through the coil where the negative lead from the battery to the controller goes, and then hook it back up to the battery? this way it would sense the current from the converter and you wouldn't need to wire it to the controller.
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no coil in the OBC, that is solid state Hall Effect Sensor that measures the current and I am not sure how the much larger battery cable running next to your converter wire would interact/affect the reading.

The best solution is to use the black wire with a yellow butt connector or the negative connection post the engineers that designed the system already provided for that connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There is no coil in the OBC, that is solid state Hall Effect Sensor that measures the current and I am not sure how the much larger battery cable running next to your converter wire would interact/affect the reading.

The best solution is to use the black wire with a yellow butt connector or the negative connection post the engineers that designed the system already provided for that connection.
where is that connection point
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

According to which cart, but on most it comes from the MPN cable at the B-. It is a common crimp connection with a short pigtail. Some have a stud that allows for accessories so the MPN cable goes on with it, then accessories, then another nut. You will know it when you see it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car