lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV Rebuild: Lord Humungus

RXV charger question... Plug in charger nothing. Replaced charge port and still nothing. 48v on pack. New T-1260plus batteries. F19 stamp.

Charger is new. 55v at the charger end. So the charger is doing what it supposed to. The LED on the charge port doesn't come on. No amps being supplied by the charger. Changed charge port to a new OEM replacement from E-Z-GO.

Warning: Controller has loads of issues. Getting replaced soon. Not sure if a bad controller will cause this to happen.

ChargerIssue.jpg
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The PC board buried in epoxy that is inside of the charge port was designed to interface to a Danaher or Curtis controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IDK if the RXV charge port is the same but on the triangle shaped TXT port that looks the same aftermarket chargers can charge but won't make the light blink.

Bob, will it charge with any charger just not give you the nice blinky light?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
IDK if the RXV charge port is the same but on the triangle shaped TXT port that looks the same aftermarket chargers can charge but won't make the light blink.

Bob, will it charge with any charger just not give you the nice blinky light?
It's a 2 way street, depending upon which controller it is connected to. The controller is supposed to place a low current load upon the PCB output, pulling it low. Which the PCB then pulls harder high when the charger is unplugged. Depending upon the status of that high/low is what allows the charge port logic to change states. It is the delicate balance of states going bonkers that allows the charge port PCB to fail so often.

So... depending upon the interaction between the controller, the charge port PCB, and the charger, it can act up and affect charge port operation. The answer is to design the controller to interface with the charge port of the cart that it is intended to operate in properly. I would expect controller manufacturers to understand the design criteria prior to passing Alpha or Beta testing. It's as simple as adding a 10k resistor in the right location to make it compatible.

Bob
Old 06-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It's a 2 way street, depending upon which controller it is connected to.
Currently connected to a Danaher controller that isn't functioning well.

Quote:
The controller is supposed to place a low current load upon the PCB output, pulling it low. Which the PCB then pulls harder high when the charger is unplugged.

Depending upon the status of that high/low is what allows the charge port logic to change states. It is the delicate balance of states going bonkers that allows the charge port PCB to fail so often.

So... depending upon the interaction between the controller, the charge port PCB, and the charger, it can act up and affect charge port operation.
Thank-you for explaining this. I suspect my soon to be replaced Danaher controller is the problem in the equation of controller + charge port PCB + charger = charging cart.

Changing controller shortly. Will report back once it has been changed.

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Currently connected to a Danaher controller that isn't functioning well.

Thank-you for explaining this. I suspect my soon to be replaced Danaher controller is the problem in the equation of controller + charge port PCB + charger = charging cart.

Changing controller shortly. Will report back once it has been changed.

Cheers,
Impaled
That gives a hint as to the failure mode of the Danaher controller. If it is failing to interface with the charge port, that hints at a failure of the 5V supply that powers the throttle, brake, and motor speed encoders. It also supplies power to the charger interface and motor temperature sensor logic within the controller. The most common cause for that power supply to fail is someone using a digital or analog voltage test meter to probe the in-dash SOC guage socket pins for the red and black (48 VDC) wires, shorting them to the very closely spaced adjacent 0-5 VDC logic pins.

Bob
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #17
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That gives a hint as to the failure mode of the Danaher controller. If it is failing to interface with the charge port, that hints at a failure of the 5V supply that powers the throttle, brake, and motor speed encoders. It also supplies power to the charger interface and motor temperature sensor logic within the controller. The most common cause for that power supply to fail is someone using a digital or analog voltage test meter to probe the in-dash SOC guage socket pins for the red and black (48 VDC) wires, shorting them to the very closely spaced adjacent 0-5 VDC logic pins.

Bob
You sir are awesome.

I am assuming that the only fix to that is a new controller?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
You sir are awesome.

I am assuming that the only fix to that is a new controller?
There are 2 options...

The first is to open the controller and check the logic area for the main logic 5V bus and jumper that to the lower powered 5V bus used to power the external 5V supply. The drawback is if something similar happens (meter probes to the SOC socket), it will fry the logic 5V supply and all of thoe expensive chips like the preprogrammed microprocessor and support ICs.

The second is to send the controller off to FSIP for repair. They see this issue all of the time, as shorting the SOC socket pins is the most common mistake that cart owners make when wanting to wire a battery voltmeter into the dash. I think FSIP charges about $400 + shipping to repair it if you set up an account with them first. I don't think tariffs apply for sending out products for repair. FSIP = Flight System Industrial Products. They have more than one location. Maybe ask if they have one there in Canada.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 AM   #19
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
There are 2 options...

The first is to open the controller and check the logic area for the main logic 5V bus and jumper that to the lower powered 5V bus used to power the external 5V supply. The drawback is if something similar happens (meter probes to the SOC socket), it will fry the logic 5V supply and all of thoe expensive chips like the preprogrammed microprocessor and support ICs.
I have the cart fully disassembled and you are correct. The meter probe was burried in ick. I removed a lot of wallnuts and other goodies left by a critter. There was not a charge meter on the cart and the plug was covered in crud and just stuck in the gunk. I suspect the wet mess it was stuck in shorted out the controller. I can't see how it didn't as it was moist and gross. Took me a good hour to clean the gunk out.

I think I have cleaned it up. The pins look ok and I blasted it with an air can and then contact cleaner. Wasn't corroded... Just was plugged into a in a nest of wet gunk.

I plan on putting a stock meter on. Just the ugly analog one as I can't seem to locate a digital one in Canada that would be suitable. Probably safer to have it plugged into something so it doesn't happen again.

Quote:
The second is to send the controller off to FSIP for repair. They see this issue all of the time, as shorting the SOC socket pins is the most common mistake that cart owners make when wanting to wire a battery voltmeter into the dash. I think FSIP charges about $400 + shipping to repair it if you set up an account with them first. I don't think tariffs apply for sending out products for repair. FSIP = Flight System Industrial Products. They have more than one location. Maybe ask if they have one there in Canada.
Will do. I have delt with FSIP for my other carts. Mostly speed controller wires etc... There are no duties for repairs generally. So long as it is the same serial numbered product going there and coming back. The principal is that the taxes have already been paid and the unit is "used". There generally isn't any duty on "used" stuff.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 07-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO