lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
cskendrick26
Getting Wild

Default Re: putting a lower amp controller in

ok but then i would have to upgrade everything else, like the solenoid, fnr switch or motor, or will it mess up anything
cskendrick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The only significant performance difference between a 250A and a 300A series drive controller will be in acceleration from a standstill, the difference will be slight and it will only exist for the first few feet off the line.

Once the motor reaches the maximum RPM at which it is capable of drawing 250A, the performance will be the same from that RPM upwards.

The same laws of physics that slows a stock series drive cart down from its top speed of about 14MPH on level pavement to about 9MPH on a hill, will be the same with either a 250A or a 300A controller and so will be the results.

To get a higher top speed or less slowing going up hills, the battery pack voltage needs to be increased.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
cskendrick26
Getting Wild

well how about 350amps
Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskendrick26 View Post
well how about 350amps
You can install a 1,500A series drive controller in a series drive cart and it will not have a higher top speed or slow less on hills, unless the controller passes amps more efficiently. Even then, the difference is slight.

For more speed you need more volts, or taller tires, or a higher speed motor.

Drawback for taller tires is that the speed increase is accompanied by a corresponding torque loss. (See attached chart)

In general terms a series motor wound for speed has less torque that a standard speed motor, but there are exceptions and series motor with both more speed than standard as well as more torque than standard can be found.

Upping the battery pack voltage increases both speed and torque. Going from 36V to 42V ups it by 16.7% and going from 36V to 48V ups it by 33.3%.

To up the battery pack voltage, you'll need a controller, solenoid and battery charger in addition to the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height vs Speed and Torque.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
cskendrick26
Getting Wild

So your saying from 250amp to a 350 amp, there is not really a notice in torque or help going up slight incline with a load on the cart
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is correct. I said it and Johnny is saying the same thing
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
cskendrick26
Getting Wild

So the first guy that said you will see less performance with a lower amp controller was wrong
Old 06-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So the first guy that said you will see less performance with a lower amp controller was wrong
I'm not saying that. He is correct in theory and application however, I'm saying the numbers you are talking about will make very little difference if any.
And I'm saying you will need a CONSIDERABLY larger control to see any seat of the pants gain in my opinion. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Don't conflate "series" and "sepex" carts. Yours is a series. Make sure everyone understands this when talking performance enhancements.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
cskendrick26
Getting Wild

So what can I do to my cart without making it a 42 or 48v system to make the cart have more torque going up hills and towing stuff and loading it down with people
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO