lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power and torque upgrade guidance

Thanks JohhnyB - I'll check it out to see what mode it's in. Charger is EZGO Power Wise charger, see photo. Also, I cleaned the batteries and cables today and the cables are in very poor condition, so will be replacing them before running it again.

BTW, after recharging and waiting 12hrs, the pack measures 38.2v. So apparently it was down a bit when I took the measurements yesterday.

Can you tell me how to balance charge the batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190629_150529.jpg (209.4 KB, 0 views)
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, just checked and it's in Freedom mode. Four beeps.

Should I switch it to another mode, and if so, does it do anything other than increase regenerative braking?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is good news.

Your mixed battery pack (5 x 210AH batteries and 1 x 230AH) will never balance all that well because they are charged/discharged in series and all the charger or controller sees is the average of the six.

If you can find a 6V charger, charge each of the lower voltage batteries until they have close to the same voltage as the highest, which is probable the one year old 230AH battery. Or use a 12V charger and do the 2 at a time.

The third option is back-to-back charging with the PW 28115 charger. IE: Put on charge in the evening and the next morning unplug charger from cart and plug it back into the cart a few moments later.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Ok, just checked and it's in Freedom mode. Four beeps.

Should I switch it to another mode, and if so, does it do anything other than increase regenerative braking?
The difference between modes is top speed on level pavement and amount of regen braking. There is no difference in low end performance or how much cart slows on hills. (Basically, the max RPM allowed changes)

Since you are in Freedom mode, your cart ought to have a top speed of about 19.5 MPH on level pavement with the 18.5" tall tires and not slow to less than about 12 MPH, or so, on a modest hill. So I suspect the OEM cables are robbing the cart of a lot of performance.

-------------
You'll most likely end up with a 6 X 8V (48V) battery pack, so get cables designed for 8V batteries, which have both terminal on same side and need longer interconnecting cables. The longer cables will work with 6V batteries.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
-------------
You'll most likely end up with a 6 X 8V (48V) battery pack, so get cables designed for 8V batteries, which have both terminal on same side and need longer interconnecting cables. The longer cables will work with 6V batteries.
Will the stock controller and motor handle 6 - 8v batteries, or if I change controllers, will the stock motor handle 8v or will it need to be changed as well?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Will the stock controller and motor handle 6 - 8v batteries, or if I change controllers, will the stock motor handle 8v or will it need to be changed as well?
Need to replace the controller and solenoid to go to 48V. (Also need a 48V charger)
Motor will run on 48V, but controller has to be turned down to 400A, but you'll most likely want to replace it with something more robust since you'll be carrying a lot of weight and climbing hills. (Technically, the weight limit for pax plus cargo is 800 lbs, but that's for a completely stock cart, the suspension can be upgraded if needed.)

I'd use the stock motor for now and replace it later. That'll give you an idea of what ttype of motor is needed for what you want your cart to do.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good deal, and thanks for all of the info and guidance!

So here's my plan.

1) Upgrade controller, solenoid and cables for future 8v batteries, but run existing batteries and stock motor at 36v for now to see where that puts me.
2) If needed, I'll upgrade the motor to the FSIP torque motor and run at 36v for now.
3) When its time for new batteries, upgrade to 6 - 8v, add a new 48v charger, reprogram the controller for 48v and live happy ever after.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #18
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The fun begins. New XCT48500 controller, 400 amp solenoid and 2g cable kit have been ordered.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Turn the Maximum Motoring Armature Amps down to 400A to run the stock PDS motor.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yikes - that's hot. A lead terminal can melt around 400º. I verified this just last week using a loose connection to generate the heat.
Yeah, mine melted a little too....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO