lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #21
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power and torque upgrade guidance

Hey JohnnyB,

I've had this this Schumacher charger (SE-40ME) for several years and it works great for my boat and car batteries, but I'm wondering if could be used in deep cycle 6v mode to charge individual batteries in my cart, and try to bring them up near the SoC of the GC-15 battery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190630_154346.jpg (190.1 KB, 0 views)
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Won't hurt to try it
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What cg said.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #24
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I received my new Alltrax XCT500PDS kit with 400a solenoid and 2g cables. Installation was a piece of cake. Only took two hours start to finish including doing some test running of the cart afterwards (not including installing the battery meter). There is most definitely an upgrade in torque from start, but there was no improvement in speed. It was running 15 mph and was still dragging a bit going up the same hill I was testing on prior to the upgrade; dropping speed to 9 mph with a single person. It also seems to have lost some low speed driveability in both forward and reverse and has become jerky to start with quite a bit of pedal movement (1/4ish of pedal throw) before the cart begins to move.

I didn't check SoC before starting to run the cart, so I'm going to go ahead and charge the batteries, then plug the PC in and see how the programming is set up. I'm sure it is tuned pretty tame from ScottyB since I'm using the stock motor for the time being.

Any suggestions on things to check?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190710_152021.jpg (254.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190710_152115.jpg (228.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Make sure the enable speed limit box is checked and speed limit is set to at least 6000RPM.
Turbo = ON
Street mode selected

With stock height (18") tires, your cart ought to be doing in the neighborhood of 24 MPH ( about 5600RPM) with a fully charged 36V battery pack.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #26
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Make sure the enable speed limit box is checked and speed limit is set to at least 6000RPM.
Turbo = ON
Street mode selected

With stock height (18") tires, your cart ought to be doing in the neighborhood of 24 MPH ( about 5600RPM) with a fully charged 36V battery pack.
Well, all of those settings are correct and today the cart ran much slower than yesterday, roughly 7-9mph. Double checked all connections and programming looks good. I emailed a couple of logs to ScottyB to take a look at along with screen shots of the programming, also attached here. I'm sure its something simple or just a bad controller. Either way I'm sure ScottyB will get me fixed up, but I'm open to your feedback as well.

BTW, SoC of the pack was at 38.2v for the first run and 38.1 on the second, but I noticed it was dipping to 35v while running. Motor speed never got above 2880rpm, controller is set at 6k. Also tried turning speed limit off to see if it may be a problem with the speed sensor, no change at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen 1.jpg (126.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg screen 2.jpg (111.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg screen 3.jpg (126.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #27
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Edit: Disregard
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have your under voltage set to low at 35V. For a 36v system it should be at 30v. Whats happening is that when your pack voltage drops to 35v or less the controller reduces the current to maintain 35v. Another thing is your never going to be happy until you add some horsepower and means a new high HP motor.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #29
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
You have your under voltage set to low at 35V. For a 36v system it should be at 30v. Whats happening is that when your pack voltage drops to 35v or less the controller reduces the current to maintain 35v. Another thing is your never going to be happy until you add some horsepower and means a new high HP motor.
Thanks WalterM6. That makes perfect sense.

BTW, I'm planning on a motor upgrade, this is just the first step in process. I want to see what I get with the controller upgrade to begin with, and I'm not really looking for blazing speed. However, if "I should be getting around 23-24 mph" I would at least like to see something in that range as the cart sits to assure me the controller is doing what it should before moving forward with other upgrades. Once everything is working I'll probably detune it a bit to around 18-20mph range anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
1. BTW, I'm planning on a motor upgrade, this is just the first step in process.

2. I want to see what I get with the controller upgrade to begin with, and I'm not really looking for blazing speed. However, if "I should be getting around 23-24 mph" I would at least like to see something in that range as the cart sits to assure me the controller is doing what it should before moving forward with other upgrades.

3. Once everything is working I'll probably detune it a bit to around 18-20mph range anyway.
1. In your first post you stated: "Think 4 250lb men, 32lbs of shotguns, 150lbs of shells and a small cooler and you'll have an idea of load carrying requirements. Also, being in TN, we have lots of hills. I'm not interested in going 20+ mph, but I am interest in going 12-15mph and carrying that speed up a grade of 14-18%."

The load spec for a TXT is 800 pounds (Pax and cargo) and you mentioned about 1200 pounds (50% overloading), plus you've got some hills to climb, so I'd be looking at high torque and very high torque motors.

2. Without RPM limiting by the controller, a stock 36V PDS motor (in perfect health) will max out at about 5600 RPM when powered by a 36V battery pack (in perfect health), which is roughly 24.8 MPH with 12.44:1 gears and 18.5" tall tires.

Your stock PDS controller was in the freedom mode, so you should have been getting about 19 MPH and you were only getting 15 MPH, so your stock cart wasn't reaching it full potential. With a different controller, solenoid and cables, it is still slow or slower than it was. That more or less leaves the motor or the speed sensor being iffy.

The data log you sent Scottie ought to show if throttle is reaching 100% and what the motor voltage vs motor amps is.

3. Get the controller settings set for maximum performance, or whatever you are comfortable with, and lower the speed limit setting to 4600 RPM. Note: The XCT starts reducing the duty cycle of the armature output 400 to 600 RPM before the set point, so you'll probably have to tweak the RPM setting to reach 20 MPH on level ground.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO