lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another solenoid guestion.

I just picked up a 2006 Ezgo TXT PDS today. Serial # B302 1463994. Pack voltage is 37.3 which I know is low. With the tow/run switch in run, key on, dash switch in forward the solenoid will click but that is it. Will not go forward or reverse. The reverse buzzer will sound when switched to reverse.

I went by the solenoid test that is in the sticky.
Tow/run switch on run, key on, directional switch in forward
Battery side of solenoid 37.3
Control side of solenoid 36.8

Sticky said if voltage was the same replace solenoid not but .5 difference. So am I right to say the solenoid is bad.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
biphase
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another solenoid guestion.

The solenoid is probably not welded. If the solenoid was welded, the voltage readings would be equal BEFORE the solenoid clicks and the cart would run in limp mode (very slow). The voltages SHOULD be equal AFTER the solenoid clicks.

You should run the built-in self-test procedure described on the decal near the tow/run switch on the plastic bubble that covers the controller. The reverse buzzer will beep a fault code indicating the problem with the cart.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
The solenoid is probably not welded. If the solenoid was welded, the voltage readings would be equal BEFORE the solenoid clicks and the cart would run in limp mode (very slow). The voltages SHOULD be equal AFTER the solenoid clicks.

You should run the built-in self-test procedure described on the decal near the tow/run switch on the plastic bubble that covers the controller. The reverse buzzer will beep a fault code indicating the problem with the cart.
First Ezgo I thought it had a self test. Didn’t know it was posted on cover thanks.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ran self/test got 3 beeps just one time. Nothing after it.
The voltage is equal before the solenoid clicks.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

three beeps just means there is a steep hill speed chip installed (blue)

If it were an error you'd get a specific pattern, like beep beep (pause) beep, for example. This would happen after the speed code and after you attempt to drive it, and it repeats. However, in my case, the 'diagnostic' on 36V PDS is largely inaccurate, as i've had many times come across the report of low battery volts but the problem was a bad or melted solenoid. These days I hardly rely on it or even test with it since the service manual has far better test procedures.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Nick. First time working on a Ezgo. I thought it should have a pattern to it. I think the best thing to do is down load a manual for this cart and go from there.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Unless it was removed, the cover for the controller (the part where the run/tow switch is) should have a small chart listing the diagnostic patterns and conditions where they come up. This forum also has a sticky where most EZGO service manuals, including for PDS should be available as downloadable Adobe Reader *.PDF files)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Unless it was removed, the cover for the controller (the part where the run/tow switch is) should have a small chart listing the diagnostic patterns and conditions where they come up. This forum also has a sticky where most EZGO service manuals, including for PDS should be available as downloadable Adobe Reader *.PDF files)
Yes all the instructions are on the control cover. Like I said in first post I tested the solenoid like Scotty said to do in his sticky. There is equal voltage on battery an control side with tow/run in run, key on, switch in forward. It said if voltage was equal replace the solenoid. I just want to make sure I am doing it right before I order a solenoid from site sponsor.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

There is a pre-charge resistor (250 ohm) across the large solenoid contacts, so you'll always have similar to pack voltage on both large terminals even without it being activated, only the difference is like .1 to .5 a volt. The service manuals call this 'reference voltage'. If the solenoid is active (clicks) as soon as you put key on, switch to forward, but no pedal, you likely have a stuck-closed pedal group micro switch under the floorboard. I come across a ton of series cars with this failure and it will make solenoid get quite hot and run batteries down.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #10
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

The solenoid will click when you press pedal down. But no movement in cart. It did stutter one time when we tried to get it on the trailer. P.O. said that is what it was doing before they parked it.

I cleaned all the battery terminals and cables but I did not check Cables on motor will do that next just to make sure they are good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO