lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
bhilgenkamp
Not Yet Wild

Default Cheapest speed increase for 2014 TXT48

I'm new to golf carts and really had no idea there were so many differences before I got mine. I have a 2014 EXGO TXT48 that I'd like to get a little more speed out of. What is the cheapest way to get a little extra? Tires, controller, etc? I have the stock Curtis 1206HB controller. I've read that it may be possible to unlock this controller but I'm not 100% if that is true or not. I understand that if it is possible there needs to be a key / $$ from someone with the tool to unlock it. If it is possible does anyone know about how much that costs and how much performance is gained? My neighborhood is fairly flat but one steeper hill I can tell it struggles a bit to go up so I'm afraid if I get larger tires then it'll struggle even more. Just looking for input from the experts here. Thanks!
bhilgenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cheapest speed increase for 2014 TXT48

There is a speed code that can be programmed into it by a dealer only. It increases the speed to almost 20. Hard to say if it’s worth it or not. Had it done on 2 2016 TXT48s recently.

Alltrax is the idea situation.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
bhilgenkamp
Not Yet Wild

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the programming? I'd love a new controller but not sure I can convince the wife on it quite yet.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

It was a friend who’s a dealer so this might not reflect real prices, but he did them for $80 each. He said he hardly made anything and the code costs almost that.

It’s a handheld device the size of a key fob that’s super expensive and can do like 20 carts maximum, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
bhilgenkamp
Not Yet Wild

Thanks that gives me a ballpark at least. Might be the cheap upgrade I'm looking for :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hope you find something affordable!
Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
It was a friend who’s a dealer so this might not reflect real prices, but he did them for $80 each. He said he hardly made anything and the code costs almost that.

It’s a handheld device the size of a key fob that’s super expensive and can do like 20 carts maximum, if I remember correctly.
I know of the "freedom key" you speak of, and I know exactly what it costs per use (and, yes, it only works 20 times per key). For its cost, and the time it takes to crank the speed up to 19mph (on stock 18" tires), he isn't "losing his a##", just doing OK (if he isn't picking up & returning the cart at no charge). To get up to 19mph isn't quite as simple as "plug it in and listen for reverse buzzer beeps", requires a extra step with handheld programmer. It's actually a good value to many consumers, as long as their expectations aren't inflated by any BS talk... You shouldn't expect any "torque gains", only a higher top speed. Torque gains would require more "in-depth" programming that a speed unlock alone won't get (average dealers probably can't/won't know how to do). Torque can't be improved too much higher anyway with stock TXT48 controller. Also, there is some possibility of slight range loss. Think of it this way, like a real car, if you could previously do 50 mph on the interstate, now that you use the ability to do 75 mph all the time, your fuel mileage would be a little less. Also, if you had more power/torque at the start, and used it all the time, more "gas" would be used. There is no magic "free lunch". An Alltrax would unlock a little more speed beyond the freedom key, about 3mph more than 19mph, could do a bunch more torque too. Depending on how heavy your foot is, could possibly reduce range a little too.

Freedom mode is good for some extra speed, Alltrax is awesome for even more speed & torque. Depends on your needs/$ situation.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhilgenkamp View Post
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the programming? I'd love a new controller but not sure I can convince the wife on it quite yet.
If you were close to Birmingham, AL, I can help you for free.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
Hedger
Gone Wild

I rented a freedom key use from someone on this forum, can't remember who. Sent it and his phone # to me, walked me through it step by step. Gave me everything i was looking for.
Hedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Like cg said, dealer can't afford to do them much cheaper. I know what they cost also and it was money out of his pocket so have to recoup that. He has to pay the rent as well. If you have access to developer mode you can get a little more out but not much on the 48txt. An RXV on the other hand is a different story..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
txt48
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO