lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
gibbywmu
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 CC DS Electric - Rear Shocks/HD Leaf Springs - Remove body to install?

Hi All,

Will be upgrading our 93 CC DS Electric with a 6" lift kit and new tires. I also bought the HD rear springs since I did add the rear seat kit.

I purchased new shocks as well for $45 (figured they were due?).....but the only video I see requires removing the rear body to do this, which I don't want to have to do :(.

Is it possible to replace the shocks w/out having to remove the rear body? The HD leaf spring replacement looks pretty straight forward.......and I know I won't have to remove the rear body for that.

Any suggestions on the order of install for the lift kit, rear springs, and (possibly) shocks is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 CC DS.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
gibbywmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 93 CC DS Electric - Rear Shocks/HD Leaf Springs - Remove body to install?

I removed my rear shocks when I installed HD rear springs without removing the rear body so I guess they could be reinstalled too (in your case replaced). I will say that it was not easy getting to the top nuts. You'll have to jack up as high as possible to get the arm and hands to the top.

As for an order of the install, I'll only provide step 1.

1. Spray everything with PBlaster now. Tomorrow, take a wrench and lightly turn any nut or bolt. A 1/32 turn is enough. Now spray with PBlaster again. Repeat for a week until your parts arrive.

Those sleeves on the front of the rear springs are a B to get out. The PBlaster will help. Hope you got the bushing kit with the springs.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
gibbywmu
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 93 CC DS Electric - Rear Shocks/HD Leaf Springs - Remove body to install?

Thanks FSU! Yes, good point on the new bushings for the HD Rear Springs. I just checked and the kit does come with new bushings. Excited to get to the project, but I'm sure they'll be some bumps along the way (always is! lol). I'll spray PB Blaster on all those nuts like you mentioned and get them loosened for next weekend.

When you took that top shock nut off, wasn't there clearance to get to it from the access panel being removed? Sounds like you got to it from the bottom.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine was a 1990 and didn't have an access panel but that would have made it easier. It's not the nuts that need the PBlaster. It's the bolts inside the sleeves. The sleeves corrode to the bolts and it makes the bolts real hard to get out. The backs will be easy. It's always the front that causes problems. Loosen the nut as far as you can without taking it off and then tap the nut with a hammer to try and free the bolt. Once the bolt moves and the nut is hitting the frame, take a punch and drive the bolt out. It's a pain but the bolt will finally come out. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

BTW. You may have to get shock extenders since you are putting on the HD springs. They look like this (https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-129...3365806&sr=8-5). I just took the rear shocks off of my cart when I put the springs on. Haven't really noticed a need for them. Your lift kit install may dictate something different though.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
gibbywmu
Not Yet Wild

Good point on the shock extenders. I have no idea if I'll need those. With all of the videos I've watched, I never heard them mentioned once..........so I'm hoping I don't need them.......but of course not 100% sure......

That's interesting.........so you took the shocks completely off then? And with the HD spring it's fine?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't feel any sway and the ride is OK to me. A little bumpy but I'm mostly on pavement. Search the forums and you'll see a lot of people just leave them off.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
gibbywmu
Not Yet Wild

Ok. That's good to know for sure. I'm mostly on pavement as well, so I might end up doing the same thing. Not sure if I even want to mess with replacing the old shocks :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car