lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
blkgld
Not Yet Wild

Default Tires/Lights Replacement

Finally gave in to the wife and got our first cart for cruising around the neighborhood with the kids. Ended up with a used EZ-GO 36V from an individual. Supposedly an 07 however I can’t seem to find the serial plate to confirm.

Overall seemed like a good deal given comparables, but there are some issues and I’m hitting a bit of a wall in my extremely limited knowledge that I’d hope you all could help with.

Pictures attached of the cart, lights, and tires.
  • Lights
    Looks like several diodes on the LED head and taillights are out. Am I correct that I have to replace the whole light assembly with a kit?
  • Speed/Tires?
    Overall cart is decent, 36V so didn’t go in expecting the world but slower than the wife had hoped. Seems like the best way to cause a potential increase in speed without an overhaul is replacing the seemingly ATV tires the guy had on? Any size recommendations? It appears the cart is lifted but fuzzy there as well since I’m not positive what I’m looking at.

Thanks again for any and all guidance you can offer
blkgld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
SCFoxman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Tires/Lights Replacement

Did you start here? https://www.cartsunlimited.net/which...i-have---.html
SCFoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The light situation will likely require a whole kit. As far as speed, you wouldnt gain much, if anything with larger tires, and will likely lose speed with smaller tires. Your drive type appears to be "series type", and that's the most expensive one to get more speed from. Just how fast is the top speed now (gps readings would be best)?
A good clear picture of the label on the motor would be handy too.

I see it has a "shifter handle" below the seat (indicative of a series system if its actually 2007 year).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

blkgld, if CG is correct as to the drive system, and most likely is, although that drive system is more expensive to get speed out of (I KNOW, ITS WHAT I HAVE), its doable. AND that drive system is considered the "WORKHORSE" of the EZGO cart line....its TOUGH! in that it will take a lot of abuse.

ANYWAY.....as CG mentioned, you need to answer the question "how fast do you want to go" as the sign in the speed shop states "SPEED COST MONEY....HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!"

so with that question answered, we can guide you is the proper direction to have a cart that will perform to your liking and have one that is reliable as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
blkgld
Not Yet Wild

I'll have to use my phone GPS to track the cart speed, didn't even occur to me before and I'd noticed there was no tachometer on the cart so wasn't sure how to gauge it properly.

The tire replacement was more a question of swapping to a non-ATV looking tire, as I noticed it has Trail Wolf tires which seem to be made for grip on grass and rough surface rather than smooth road surface tires. Figured that may affect the speed and performance given less surface area contacting the road.

Had the wife send some pictures over but just realized she only did under the seat and not the motor itself behind the back panel. Will have to upload tonight as I'm in the office today, I believe you're right that it is a Series type though.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgld View Post
I'll have to use my phone GPS to track the cart speed, didn't even occur to me before and I'd noticed there was no tachometer on the cart so wasn't sure how to gauge it properly.

The tire replacement was more a question of swapping to a non-ATV looking tire, as I noticed it has Trail Wolf tires which seem to be made for grip on grass and rough surface rather than smooth road surface tires. Figured that may affect the speed and performance given less surface area contacting the road.

Had the wife send some pictures over but just realized she only did under the seat and not the motor itself behind the back panel. Will have to upload tonight as I'm in the office today, I believe you're right that it is a Series type though.
The spec for a '07 TXT with a 36V series drive is 13MPH to 14MPH on stock height (18") tires. Theoretically, the 20" tall tires ought to up that speed by 11.1% (about 15.5MPH), but the speed gain is accompanied by a 10% torque loss, so it won't reach the theoretical speed.

Also, if the 20" tires are the low pressure type (Max inflation pressure less than 10PSI) the cart may not even reach stock speed and the aggressive tread may slow it even more.

A similar sized road tire with a max inflation pressure of 20PSI or greater will probably give you more speed than the current set of tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #7
blkgld
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The spec for a '07 TXT with a 36V series drive is 13MPH to 14MPH on stock height (18") tires. Theoretically, the 20" tall tires ought to up that speed by 11.1% (about 15.5MPH), but the speed gain is accompanied by a 10% torque loss, so it won't reach the theoretical speed.

Also, if the 20" tires are the low pressure type (Max inflation pressure less than 10PSI) the cart may not even reach stock speed and the aggressive tread may slow it even more.

A similar sized road tire with a max inflation pressure of 20PSI or greater will probably give you more speed than the current set of tires.
Thanks for the response, looks like 22 PSI max.

Cart seems to max out on level ground at about 12 MPH. Downhill will hit 17, uphill will start struggling and down to 9ish. This is why myself, wife, and kids (400 or so pounds).

Managed to take pictures of the motor as well this evening, see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3E5A870-9735-4351-87DA-600ECE5428E8.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9E9F7881-CE89-43BC-A6FD-094ACB9B8957.jpg (16.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All carts slow down going uphill and series drives slow down the most.

With a 22PSI max, the aggressive tread is probably their only issue, since you want an on road cart. Air the tires up to the max and check the top speed again.

The cart being slower than the published top speed on 18" tires is likely due to battery and high current cable issues and motor may need to be serviced.

The voltage applied to the motor determines the cart's top speed, so check the battery pack and individual battery voltages about 12 hours after the charger shuts off and before the cart is moved. Pack voltage should be 38.2V and individual batteries all should be 6.37V.

SoC (State of Charge) chart for Trojan brand batteries attached. If you have a different brand batteries a different chart may be needed.

If any cable is more than 10°F above ambient after a hard run, it is costing you speed and needs to be replaced. All 13 cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker.

--------------
What is the top speed desired?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I was hoping for a legible picture of the motor tag, so I could see the motor part numbers (and possibly provide options for other motors that are compatible with stock controller).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO