lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV
Zone NEV Zone electric golf cars, EV and LSV

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
rib33024

Default Re: Gas or Hybrid conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
NICE------
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heres another one.... a PTO driven, 15000 watt version!
Probably overkill but maybe in something more powerfull than a golf cart motor?
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Find some way to convert it from AC to DC and that gen head would work I suppose. Power it with a 23hp V-twin.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
Blast
Not Yet Wild

This is interesting....

48V 3000 Watt Generator: http://www.alpha.com/Products/Alphas...aGen-DCX-3000/

Could be used to charge the batteries.
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I looked around for some generators with DC output. Not much out there. So you'd have to convert the AC output from the generator to DC. Or find yourself a EE who can build it.

So can you charge a cart's batteries while you are using them to drive around?

I was actually thinking about modifying an electric cart, maybe some kind of pulley off the rear diff that drives the generator, which is charging the batteries. I'm pretty sure you'd use the power faster than the generator would charge the batteries, but I figured you could possibly double or triple the distance you can go on a charge.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
Blast
Not Yet Wild

The link above is a 3000 watts 48V DC generator. It's more power output than the Delta Charger which is about 1000 watts.

The question is how many watts does it take to run the motor at full speed?
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
I was actually thinking about modifying an electric cart, maybe some kind of pulley off the rear diff that drives the generator, which is charging the batteries. I'm pretty sure you'd use the power faster than the generator would charge the batteries, but I figured you could possibly double or triple the distance you can go on a charge.
You were correct it will take more energy to turn the generator then the generator will produce in return, therefore it will not recharge the batteries while you are driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;Blast
The link above is a 3000 watts 48V DC generator. It's more power output than the Delta Charger which is about 1000 watts.

The question is how many watts does it take to run the motor at full speed?
Peak watts of a 48 volt 300 amp controller for example is 14,400 watts. Now that is the max output of the controller. I would assume normal driving pulls an average of maybe 50-150 amps or 2400 to 7200 watts. The DC generator would be cool to help recover battery power but who knows where you would find one and what it costs $$$$.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
PDowling1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Forget the idea of using a generator powered by the cart to recharge the batteries while driving. If that would work, you would have a perpetual motion machine! All generators and motors have losses, in other words, you get less power out than you put into them. The generator takes power to operate. That power adds to the load on the motor, more so than the generator produces. Bottom line is this is a bad idea and wont work.
These carts do have regenerative braking, which DOES convert braking energy into charging the batteries. This works because when you are stopping, the motor is not providing propulsion, but is used as a generator during deceleration. This slows you down without use of brakes.

You could extend your range by running a gas powered generator to charge the batteries.
PDowling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
78Southwind
Not Yet Wild
Zone

If you were to run a gas powered generator would you be able to charge the batteries while the golf car is in operation?
78Southwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV