lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV
Zone NEV Zone electric golf cars, EV and LSV

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #21
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default re: Dual option mode on the Zone controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Just remember if the cart is street legal the 13 YO cannot have a license or even a learners permit , be careful insurance companies can be unforgiving if a street legal cart is involved in any kind if accident .
Here's a 12v one they can ride on the sidewalks:

Or for older kids, one with all the bells and whistles:

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
cheaper2day
Not Yet Wild

Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD65 View Post
It sounds like C2D is in a similar type of community that I am in. It's all private property and the only potential difference in our case is that the homeowners own the club. Ours is not owned or managed by an outside co.

C2D is your lake a ski lake?

Yes it is a ski lake! It has a nice dock that the dogs like to jump off (especially the lab), but mine is not on a golf course. I think it was someone else that posted that. We just have the wide sidewalks that are like golf cart paths because so many people out here have golf carts.

Thank you Doug for the info about the controller. I don't understand a word of it, but my husband will. And I would like to see my nephews faces when I told them they would be riding around on those. It would be priceless.
cheaper2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaper2day View Post
Thank you Doug for the info about the controller. I don't understand a word of it, but my husband will. And I would like to see my nephews faces when I told them they would be riding around on those. It would be priceless.
Glad you appreciate it was only my sense of humor that made me post that. Enjoy your new cart.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #24
cheaper2day
Not Yet Wild

Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
There are two user-selectable vehicle operating personalities, with vehicle top speed controlled and limited in each mode and the parameters are nearly infinite.

A simple rocker switch (SPST) from controller pinout #JI-20 to JI-4 or the negative side of the run/tow switch will switch your modes from User 1 to User 2.

To program the 1268-54 Curtis controller you will need the hand held programmer or the desktop software and a special cable.

Doug - do you know where you can purchase either the programmer or the software and cable.
cheaper2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #25
krusty0001
Zone

There are instructions for the cable and software in the "programming a curtis controller thread". I made the cable in my spare time at work. It was pretty simple. 9pin d connector to 4 pin molex (mini-t). I got all my info from the thread. Programming Mode2 will be interesting. There are a lot of parameters. At the back of the manual, there is a section on
tuning. It'll help get the parameters right.

I screw with electronics stuff for a living. Tinkering is a way of life. I am not afraid. If it blows up, Ebay has em for around $300.
krusty0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #26
krusty0001
Zone

Doug, can u comment on how much a difference the hi/low switch makes makes on a SEPEX? Euro said he drops to 1/3 top speed going uphill. I wonder if creating a special torque mode would help?
krusty0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
dougmcp
Gone Wild

There will be quite a difference between the 4 seat and the 6 seat carts as far as ability to climb hills especially when loaded.

I think that even with programming the controller, as you increase the amperage for torque you are limited by the cable size, battery charge and loaded weight of the cart.

A 20% grade will slow any cart considerably that has the high speed rear axle and a 400a controller.

As the batteries decline in voltage, the amperage increases to achieve the speed/power.
Tweaking the controller may help but reduced run time, possible thermal shutdown could be the result.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #28
jamesgangnc
Not Yet Wild
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaper2day View Post
You are right, I know what I am getting into.

It was illegal to ride my golf card on a public street, yet I have done it almost every day for the past 2 years. The police waive as I go by. There are only about 20 houses in this neighborhood. There are several teenagers in this neighborhood that have different kinds of buggies and several families who have golf carts they use to ride around in so the neighbors are used to this.

I thought we were supposed to be talking about how to modify the controllers.
You could use this feature to limit the top speed while the kids have it. Instead of a rocker switch get one of those simple key switches. Program one mode for a lower top speed and then any operator has to have the "speed" key to switch to the other mode.

I agree kids will be using these in lake and golf communities. Happens all the time. Kid killed a lady here in Raleigh one year. Going to fast and took a sharp turn. Threw her out and it was one of those fluke instances where she hit her head and died.
jamesgangnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #29
DRD65
Not Yet Wild
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgangnc View Post
You could use this feature to limit the top speed while the kids have it. Instead of a rocker switch get one of those simple key switches. Program one mode for a lower top speed and then any operator has to have the "speed" key to switch to the other mode.
Hey, just like the high speed Segways we rode in San Diego. You had to pass little manuever tests to keep working up to the highest speed keys. I think the slow ones were blue, the hot one was yellow.

My son likes to drive around the yard tractor. I'll have to GPS the speed since the top end is a little fast for him yet.
DRD65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Hey folks, I have a Curtis handheld that's for OEM programming and let's you program the user modes. Right now it's on ebay for the next 4 days, but if it doesn't sell, I wouldn't be opposed to "renting it out" sort of until I can find it a permanent home. I guess I'll let you know how it turns out in 4 days.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Zone NEV