lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
Mattsm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Matt's Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
Ok! NOW you are ready for the motor upgrade.
WHY do you say this? The stock series motor handles 48volt.
Mattsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am saying that he will be (ok, probably) unhappy with the minor performance improvement and that since he has added all the necessary upgrades required for a bigger motor to perform at its peak, then go the next step... install a bigger motor! The bigger motor is the only upgrade missing.
I went through this process with my 88 Marathon, only in reverse. I began by replacing the stock 2HP motor with a D&D 4:1 8HP motor. Absolutely no improvement in climbing slight inclines. I then commenced to replace wiring, solenoid/contactor (2 stock contactors wired in parallel), and speed controller components to get more current to the motor. The stock contactor was the weak component (hot to the touch). Once I added the old one back in the circuit (in parallel), the cart had noticeable improvement hill climbing. This motor is rated 2780 rpm so no additional speed over stock. I needed to keep the speed down as my 7 yr old granddaughter will be learning to drive with it.
I also wired a 500A contactor between the +battery terminal and the A1 motor input lug. The contactor is activated by a momentary pushbutton by the FNR switch. This contactor, when activated, bypasses the FNR switch, the solenoids and the speed controller. I have found that this parallel wired contactor only shows improvement when the cart is loaded (4 adults) and going up an incline (when the motor is asking for more amps).
Sorry for the misunderstanding of my previous post.
Have a good day,
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
Mattsm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So I take it you are saying, that by me going 48 volts I will see improvenment but prolly not what I am expecting?

thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Big improvement with the right motor since you have done all the upgrades
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #25
Mattsm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofymaz View Post
matt i am looking forward to this thread! i have a 2000 txt that has the same problems up hill! was looking into a 400 amp alltrax controller as well and was actually thinking about replacing the motor possibly with a admiral high torque/speed motor but might do the controller and the cables first and see if that does the trick! why spend the $ on the motor if i dont need to!!! im about to start over hauling my cart as well once i get some cash flowing so i will post along with ya here possibly! u might hit it alot faster than i though! i might need a few weeks to get rolling :D gonna golf this week with mine then take it home and start stripping it down and prepping for paint and all! then controller and cable and hopefully wheels and tires to follow! looking forward to seeing your progress and your results on those hills from your upgrades! i know those hills suck!
Don't waist your money on what was suggested here, convert cart from series motor to shunt motor and get controller for it that you can program, you will spend about $850.00 doing all you need to do to get what you want.
Leave it 36 volts so you don't have to buy a charger either.

If you just upgrade controller to 400amp,heavy FNR switch and upgrade the cables to 4ga, you will not be happy with your results.

I am not talking bad about this site with this quote "Don't waist your money on what was suggested here", I am just posting my results. The results that were accomplished with that upgrade were not sufficient for my conditions.
Although there was a slight increase in climbing uphill, just not nothing truly noticeable to be worth the money spent.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Matt

What were/are you looking for your cart to do?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
Mattsm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsm View Post
Gonna start a project on one of my carts.
I am starting this thread to show what progress I have done and post results of each task.
To start, this looks like a great forum with some great knowledge. And many thanks to those who post.

I have a 1999 EZ-GO that I use very often on a very hilly golf course.
I am tired of it being so slow while climbing up hills, so slow that I want to kick my partner out of it while climbing.
I realize after reading the forum that there are some things to do right off.
1. Replace all cables from the 6ga to 4ga.
2 Replace the stock curtis controller(which I believe is only 300amp)(Series) with a 400amp Alltrax controller.

Batteries have just been replaced since one of my other carts needed batteries, this one got the brand new ones.
I plan using this cart for as long as I can, it is really in great shape and has some customs on it.

One question I have before I start, I am gonna change the cables anyway, but on the alltrax controller:
Will the 400 amp be sufficient, or are there other options that I can go?
I guess what I am asking here is, Can I do better than this to get better results, without changing out the motor as well?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

BTW, I have seen some pretty nice looking carts on this site!
The answer to that question in bold should be no. After doing the upgrades that I have performed, I see that.

There was just really no difference to speak of. I just want to be able to not throw my rider out of cart so it will go up hill
I was getting tired of going so slow uphill. All other carts on course would pass me like I was sitting still. What was weird is there is a 2001 model with stock curtis controller that would pass me as well. It was just getting frustrated. Now the 48volts did help but not enough for me to go out and buy them 48volt batteries and then have to get a 48volt charger. I am sure changing the motor out would help as someone had mentioned.

But I just want to let that guy know, It is gonna take more than 4g cables, alltrax controller, and heavy duty FNR switch to accomplish the hill scenario thing. Cuz that makes not much if any noticeable difference. A motor upgrade will be necessary in addition.

Now I did not spend the $850.00 for my conversion, I just kinda added it up what it would cost. Mine was kind of a buddy deal, so not much money changed hands. I own an auto repair business. Now, I can change the programming on it if I want.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO