lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Positive Battery Terminal Shorted on Bracket

Just got this cart 3 days ago. It just got here from transport. I thought the battery might have been bad, it looked pretty old. Got it checked and it was good. Brought it back and put it back in.

I guess I didn't get the mounting bracket locked down as tight as I should. After about 30 mins of driving it the battery shifted and the positive terminal came in contact with the bracket shorting everything out and it messed my battery up bad. Melted both terminal sockets. Melted the positive cable eyelet. Fused the negative cable eyelet to the terminal bolt.

So I'm gonna get a new battery and a couple of cables in the morning. I took off the cover to the black box with all the wires going in and out and didn't see any other visible damage. Is there anything else I need to check for that I might have messed up? Voltage regulator? Could I have messed up the generator?

What a way to start my golf cart experience, huh?
Pipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Positive Battery Terminal Shorted on Bracket

I was hoping to get some feedback before starting the work today of trying to get my cart running again. It being saturday there aren't alot of places open for cart parts and the few open have short days. I really need to get it running today
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
rib33024

Yes I would start with some cables and a battery, your going to need that to see if it hurt/ fried anything eles
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Hill Country Hunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You might want to check the 10 amp fuse inside the black box.
Hill Country Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well, I got it running again. A new battery, got a couple cables and thankfully nothing else was burned. Now the quest for a couple more miles per hour. Not looking for any speed racer. Just 18-20mph would suffice instead of the 14-15 I'm getting now.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

you can get he 18 mph with zip tieing the governor open, but bgw is not and willnot be held for any damages, nor will any meber on here be liable for any damages done. you can get the 18 mph range by leaving the rev liimiter on the front of the engine hooked up and simply zip tieing your road govenor to the trans shifter open just slightly, so the carb butterfly opens fully, or you can zip tie the cable spring on the right side so it wont flex getting the same thing for the most part. i have the zip tie on the road governor, andto the trans shift cable, and if i want it undone, i simply move the zip tie to go to factory.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Tyhog
Not Yet Wild

I had almost the same thing happen to my 83 marathon. fix the cables , new battery and change the fuse. Now it click but doesn't even try to fire. What do I do next ?

I really need some help with this PLease
Tyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
you can get he 18 mph with zip tieing the governor open, but bgw is not and willnot be held for any damages, nor will any meber on here be liable for any damages done. you can get the 18 mph range by leaving the rev liimiter on the front of the engine hooked up and simply zip tieing your road govenor to the trans shifter open just slightly, so the carb butterfly opens fully, or you can zip tie the cable spring on the right side so it wont flex getting the same thing for the most part. i have the zip tie on the road governor, andto the trans shift cable, and if i want it undone, i simply move the zip tie to go to factory.
I tried this and didn't get any increase in top speed. The zip tie of the governor arm on the trans. All it did was cause the motor to not stop running even when my foot was off the pedal but not increase my top speed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car