lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2002 PDS Rear Suspension

Had a problem with my cart the other day. Was riding a few of my (4 of us in all) and as we hid a couple of bumps in the road the back tires rubbed the fender wells. This is not the first time this has happened. Read that I needed to upgrade my rear springs to Heavy Duty. I ordered a set and installed them now my cart rides like a horse and buggy. What should I do. I have read about taking leaves out of the heavy duty spring set. Also when I put my new springs on had to take lower nut off shock. Noticed that there was not much resistance going up or down on the shock. How can I test the shocks, what should I be looking for.

Am thinking about taking out the extra two springs on the heavy duty spring making it the same as stock but new. Also installing new shocks.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks, Bryan
barsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 PDS Rear Suspension

Well if you got the four leaf, there is not much you can do, maybe hide a hundred pounds in the rear. If you go back to the standard leafs you will be in the same problem. They do sell a 3 leaf setup, but you would need to find them, maybe they would be the compromise you are looking for. Shocks on a golf cart are the not the same as on a car, they are just to help out, like smooth the ride. They are fine leave them alone, hope this helps.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can get 3 leak springs from EZGO and they work great and arent expensive and they dont make your cart sit real high in the back.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Air Shocks with light Leaf spring packs. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-g9-build.html
jigwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the ideas. Can I just take off the bottom leaf and make my 4 leaf a 3 leaf. I noticed there is a nut on the bottom.

Also as far as shocks, All the rubber bushings are dried and cracked. How would I know if a shock is bad.

Bryan
barsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

one thing you can do is check tire pressure. since you are runing low pro tires your ride will be harsher.

you can remove a leaf, but after a while you will be in the same boat as you are now. the tires hitting the fenders.

You have to understand these carts are designed for 2 people and 2 bags. that it. you added a rear seat (weights more than 2 bags), so ride is gonna suffer. To get the best ride will be runn a taller tire (more tire flex) and the HD springs.

Shocks on cart are normally ok unless they are leaking. Brand new shock have little resistance.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
ate50et
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 2002 PDS Rear Suspension

Hello; if I can add my 2cents worth. If the leafs on your new springs are thicker the the leafs on your old spring you are in business.because they will be stiffer. I would not hesitate taking one or two leafs out. I agree with you that if the spring leafs are the same thickness as you old ones than you would be back to new stock, theoretically. If you are willing to do the work you can play with different combinations till you find one you like. If the shocks don't leak they are good or empty still good. Sometimes when you add heavy duty springs that lift your cart, the shock will be pulled all the way open and may limit movement. if you care, use a shock extension. imho I also like the airshock/light spring idea, think I will try it soon.
ate50et is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have HD springs on my cart with low profile tyres but I don't have a rear seat, not sure if this will help but some things I found after I installed the HD springs:
The ride will soften a little when the cart is used and the springs settle,
My shocks topped out so I bought a couple of 2"shock extensions off scottyb and that also allowed the shocks to work and that helped with the ride also,
Played with my tyre pressure and tried a few different options to help get a better ride.

I am happy with my ride now, I hope this helps.
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One thing I forgot to mention is that I had a faulty rear shock and it had not leaked any oil at all. I replaced it and it made a difference.

Just remember if you replace a shock or you want to test a shock, remove it hold it vertical and pump it 3 or 4 times to check it is working and there is suitable resistance, my faulty shock had little resistance at all. Remember when re-installing the shock try and keep it vertical while you replace it.
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO