lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 89 EZGO goes only in high speed !HELP!

I'm new to golf carts and picked up an 89 EZGO that when I first got it didn't work at all. I replaced the old batteries and gave it a full charge. The first time I pushed the accelerator there were a lot of sparks from the solenoid and the thing took off on me into the wall. I learned the importance of having it on blocks. Now it runs but only goes in high speed. Once it goes I can't turn it off even with the key in off position. I had to disconnect battery to stop it last time. After reading hundreds of posts I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. Bad Solenoid? Controller? Potentiometer? Stuck Throttle? I don't even know where to begin.
tbrian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
jonnymoon5
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO goes only in high speed !HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrian76 View Post
I'm new to golf carts and picked up an 89 EZGO that when I first got it didn't work at all. I replaced the old batteries and gave it a full charge. The first time I pushed the accelerator there were a lot of sparks from the solenoid and the thing took off on me into the wall.
First, Welcome to the forum!

Second, seems like your solenoid is welded. this means the voltage is constantly flowing through it, key on or off, pedal pushed or not. this is a very dangerous problem and it can burn the cart and the building its stored in if not corrected. i had the same problem when i replaced 3 of my batteries and it wasn't used to a regular voltage in the pack. a solenoid is definitely a minimal price in the long run.
good luck!
-jm5
jonnymoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

welcome to BGW sounds like you,ll need a soleniod.............also look on drivers side in the area behind the wheel if theres a row of resistor coils mounted back there you need to see what kind of condition they are in......any that are broken or melted need to be replaced and also look at all your F&R componants, the board, the buttons, the moveable wiper arm they all need to be adjusted right and clean and tight.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. I ordered a new solenoid the other day and hope to get it installed by Friday. I'll keep progress posted. Hopefully this will get things working. I also noticed the controller housing has some cracks in it, so I hope there's no condensation in there. I'll cross that bridge when I have to.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Shadowman. What is the best way to access those coils. By removing the front cowl, or floor?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is your 89 a speed control or a resistor coil cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure. How would I know?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The best way is to take a picture that shows the whole battery bay and post it right here, we can tell ya
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I won't be around the cart today so I can post some pics tomorrow or late tonight. What I can tell you is that I can identify obviously batteries, solenoid, ignition switch, F/R switch, and an unidentified box just above the back axle with four wires going into it from a plate below the solenoid. That is about all I see. Will upload pics later.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
tbrian76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is the picture of the battery area of the cart. We just moved and can't find our camera, but I was able to get a shot with my phone. Hope this helps identify what type of system I have in this cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart engine.jpg (118.0 KB, 30 views)

Tags
1989, controller, electrical problem, series cart, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO