lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
shanker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charger not working

the charger will emit a click but the needle doesn't move and the charger doesn't come on like there is a bad wire, where the charger will click come on and the needle not rise.
shanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanker View Post
the charger will emit a click but the needle doesn't move and the charger doesn't come on like there is a bad wire, where the charger will click come on and the needle not rise.
Try the second test procedure I mentioned in the previous post. You may have a bad charge circuit in the OBC. It's turning the charger on but not allowing power to go through it. Your fuse in the yellow fuse holder is obviously good if the OBC is making the charger relay click. Try checking the plastic fuse on the back of the receptacle for continuity. If it's bad, you'll get the same results. However, these rarely blow. I guarantee you as soon as you touch the jumper wire from the terminal on the back of that fuse to the main negative battery post your charger needle will jump up.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
rich6111
Getting Wild
Club Car

Is the big black negative wire still going through the hole in the OBC to the controller? It has to,that is what tells the chager to charge.
rich6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6111 View Post
Is the big black negative wire still going through the hole in the OBC to the controller? It has to,that is what tells the chager to charge.
Not true.. The small grey wire is the wire that tells the charger to charge. The black wire running through the OBC picks up the Negative charge from the charger where it's joined to the B- terminal of the controller, then it feeds through the OBC to the battery. The only reason this wire runs through the OBC is to monitor voltage.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
rich6111
Getting Wild
Club Car

I put new wires on my 98 and they said to disconnect the wire going through the OBC and go around it with the new which I did. Then I noticed that my charger was not working and was ready to buy a new one and the man asked me if the neg wire was still going through the OBC and I told him no.He said that is your problem which it was.Hooked it back up and the charger works GREAT.
rich6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6111 View Post
I put new wires on my 98 and they said to disconnect the wire going through the OBC and go around it with the new which I did. Then I noticed that my charger was not working and was ready to buy a new one and the man asked me if the neg wire was still going through the OBC and I told him no.He said that is your problem which it was.Hooked it back up and the charger works GREAT.
That's correct. However, even with your wire routed "around" the OBC instead of "through" it, the charger will still turn on. It will run for a few minutes and shut down because the internal voltage sensor of the OBC doesn't sense any voltage. This wire has nothing to do with the turning on and off of the charger.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #17
kbreaux
Not Yet Wild

When I run the first test, my charge clicks but does not turn on. When I perform the second test, nothing happens. Suggestions??
kbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #18
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Measure the volts you see at the charging receptacle on the cart. Do you see 48v? I know you said
Quote:
First let me eliminate the obvious. The batteries are new, the wiring is correct
BUT...many people who replace their batteries lose track of the red wire coming from the charging receptacle to the main battery bank positive. It falls down by the frame and they don't see it when they reconnect the batteries. I know this sounds unlikely..but just check.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
kbreaux
Not Yet Wild

No, that is not the issue.
kbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #20
n2carts
Getting Wild

Club Car

Sometimes it the obvious stuff that you think of last. My buddy was having a similar issues 2 days ago. Plugs in the charger, here's it click and goes in the house. Did this for 3 days and then the cart died on the course.

Found out the charger was clicking when plugged in but not running. Tried my charger and it worked. 15 amp breaker was bypassed from (we suspect) previous owner. Was going to order a repair kit and hope for the best.

Come to find out the outlet wasn't working, tripped the GFCI breaker. I would check the obvious stuff first.

Just my 2 cents.
n2carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car