lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
builder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2011 LSV 2five

I would like to increase the speed of my 2five to about 35mph can this be done by reprogramming the controller and if so where would i purchase this progammer how much would it cost me and what is the level of difficulty to do this? Thanks Builder
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 2011 LSV 2five

no this can not be done by programming the controller, it's very hard to get a electric cart to do 35 mph
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
CajunDavid
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, the 2FIVE can be re-programmed. I think the dealer can do it, but I'm not sure.
CajunDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunDavid View Post
Yes, the 2FIVE can be re-programmed. I think the dealer can do it, but I'm not sure.
When you find a dealer to reprogram the controller to make your 2FIVE do 35 mph, let us all know, because there's going to be a lot of people that want it done
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
CajunDavid
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A dealer can reprogram a 2FIVE for more speed. I'm not sure if any will and you might notice I never said it would go 35. That was your assumption.
CajunDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I know this is an old thread, but I would like to respond to this question, as it is common request amongst golf cart affictionados. The controller CAN be programmed to allow the cart to go faster. I have done this. However, it comes at a cost.

More speed requires more power, and more power will increase the heat generated by the electric motor. I took a stock 2012 RXV, in golf mode 4, set to the normal max speed of 14.8 MPH by my dealer. I installed an automotive GPS and I made a few passes. I verified that a stock speed of 14 MPH was indicated. With my handset, I programmed my stock 1206AC-5201 controller for double that stock speed, then I verified that I was able to reach 28 MPH with the GPS. While driving at that speed, I kept a handset programmer plugged in, and I watched motor temperature and RPM. Starting temperature was 32C, after 2 passes at speed, motor temperature had risen to 60C. I cloned the RXV controller back to my saved stock file and I drove it home. I decided that it was just not worth it to damage my motor or stock controller to go fast. I bought a 1206AC-5350, the 350 amp upgrade controller, to see if that improved anything. No change. I did not play with the accel curves or regen curves, or change the limits other than that required to override the speed limit. I feel that the limits are what they are, conservative, based upon the continuous HP rating of the motor. Just putting in a higher horsepower motor is not the answer unless you come up with a way of cooling it. I had considered adding heat sink fins and a fan to cool the motor. I have not tried that yet.

I did manage to get my 2015 2Five up to 30 MPH on level roads after reprogramming the controller, but that was about the limit that I dared to push it to. The 2Five and the RXV are based on identical platforms, the primary differences are no resistor on the 2Five controller and the sloped windscreen of the 2Five gives better aerodynamics, allowing a higher top end (less wind drag).

The dealers cannot do these speed programming tricks with their handsets. It requires a programmer that can alter the operating system software loaded into the controller. Curtis and EZ-Go do not want people altering their controller programs due to safety concerns.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
I would like to increase the speed of my 2five to about 35mph can this be done by reprogramming the controller and if so where would i purchase this progammer how much would it cost me and what is the level of difficulty to do this? Thanks Builder
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

2five also has different gear ratio than RXV (14.7 vs 16.99). 2five also has a cooling fan pointed at the heatsink of the controller (all rxv & 2five have a controller heatsink with fins from the factory, only 2five has a fan, none have fins on the motor case). with software tweaks the otherwise stock 2five has a (horsepower limited) top speed of "3four". motor & controller heat are a factor. as far as crazy RPMs, when he was doing 28 in his rxv, the motor was spinning at 9k, way fast. due to the rpm concerns, i only set carts with larger than stock wheels to a max of 25mph, i wont do it with stock wheels. so 99% of what Bob said is true.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Absolutely correct cgtech. 9,268 RPM was the 28 MPH motor speed. Above 9,500 RPM, a software rev limit kicks in to prevent going any faster, even if going downhill. I have the ability to change it, but I respect the rev limit, so I will not change it. That would be asking for trouble. The max frequency on the 1206AC-XXXX controllers is +/- 300 Hz, which equates to 12,000 motor RPM. The engineers put in a software rev limit for a very valid reason, to prevent traction motor damage.

I have a set of brand new 10.5:1 gears that I bought for the RXV a few weeks ago. I'm not really sure that I want to put them in at this point. If I need to go faster, I have other EVs to drive.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
2five also has different gear ratio than RXV (14.7 vs 16.99). 2five also has a cooling fan pointed at the heatsink of the controller (all rxv & 2five have a controller heatsink with fins from the factory, only 2five has a fan, none have fins on the motor case). with software tweaks the otherwise stock 2five has a (horsepower limited) top speed of "3four". motor & controller heat are a factor. as far as crazy RPMs, when he was doing 28 in his rxv, the motor was spinning at 9k, way fast. due to the rpm concerns, i only set carts with larger than stock wheels to a max of 25mph, i wont do it with stock wheels. so 99% of what Bob said is true.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
mjroman20
Gone Wild

I can say with confidence no programming is putting at a speed over 25 correctly or safely. The control as with all Curtis AC is limited to 8,000 rpm, under the assumption to correct encoder is being used. Even so the LSV does not allow for this high and RPM without doing what I did to achieve that 8,000.

Additionally the method I used to set this up would very likely result in very poor motor/vehicle performance or premature failure of the motor and/or drive system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LSV.JPG (16.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8K.JPG (10.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8k1.JPG (10.0 KB, 0 views)
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
increase speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO