lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
hawk-er
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default My Homemade speed controller for 36v par car

So after testing all my solenoids and then retesting it all i confirmed that the speed controller was junk. and it testing the solenoids (unisolated) i think i fried it completely anyway, oops.
So time for a new speed controller, but in no way was i going back to this dumb magnetic system, nor was i spending like 300$ on a new one. So i just built a mechanical one via a spring plunger type setup.
Power is jumpered to each solenoid (F & R obviously on a switch to allow one or the other but never both). Then the plungers are tied into the common side of the solenoids, the foot pedal has a copper plate mounted to it that is connected directly to the main ground. So when the plunger hits the plate on the pedal it closes the appropriate circuit for that plunder position (speed 1-3).
Made it only 3 speeds now instead of 4, (1-through both res., 2-through just the large, 3-both res closed aka wide open). Took this video immediately after hooking it all up, drove it around then later and it works excellent. Time to clean up and finish securing up all the wiring through the frame.

see the speed controller here: (turn speakers up to hear solenoids click and speeds 1-3 are hit)

I will post pics of the cart as i get further along, abandoned 88 Par car that I’m completely restoring/turing into a wood slotted flat bed utility cart.
hawk-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
firefighterdevo21
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My Homemade speed controller for 36v par car

Hi there. I am working on an 87 par car and I have the same issues with the speed controller. Do you have more pictures of how the controller you made is wired?
firefighterdevo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:54 PM   #3
probischon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterdevo21 View Post
Hi there. I am working on an 87 par car and I have the same issues with the speed controller. Do you have more pictures of how the controller you made is wired?
Hey I had a controller issue too. Got no help here. I ended up wiring a toggle switch. Mine was stuck in 4th, the controller would not energize the solenoids so it went full out no matter how far pedal was depressed. . I ended up wiring a toggle switch to manually energize one solenoid (gets power from battery directly) so now I have a 2 speed manual....2/4.... that I switch between with toggle. That way I got full speed but it doesn't peel out on take off. Good luck with your issues, sure wish someone would make a new controller that would work since original are no where to b found , I don't want to dump $1300 into going solidstate
probischon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #4
firefighterdevo21
Not Yet Wild

Yea 1300 is a bit much for a 35 year old cart haha. That’s a good idea to use toggles to make it a manual
firefighterdevo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar