lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
campscruizer
Not Yet Wild

Default Help~Cart dies intermittently then will run again once it sits

Need help finding a intermittent problem. Have a '06(Body) lifted EZ GO PDS with 23x10.5x12 tires. Bought in 2010 so assume controller/moter etc is only 2 years old when it was built in 2010.
Can run the cart for anywhere from 15-30 mintutes then it will just go dead. If you wait an hour or so it will run again.
Have checked batteries and they seem good. (Trojan T605's-April 2010) They read 6.6 fully charged, and 6.4 when you leave it off the charger for 12 hours. When it goes dead after driving I can still read 6.2 on them. Checked for dead cells with a hydromometer and couldn't find any.

Have a Curtis PMC Controller # 73326G07
Have a Advanced DC Motor Part #73445G02 / DE2-4007

When it starts to go dead if you are pushing in on the gas pedal the lights will dim, let out on it and they are bright again.

Can hear the solenoid click when pedal is depressed.

All wires seem to be tight. The wire leading to the positive post on the 1st battery gets warm to the tough (not hot)

When I plug it up to the charger the charger reading has always gone to about 4 amps and stays there.

Have had this problem just a couple times in the past, we used to able to make several times around the rv park, then just a few, now we are lucky if we make 1 trip if there are any hills involved. Hills or not it will still eventually quit in an hours time. So the problem has got worse over the past month or two.
Am I overlooking anything? Not sure if it a controller issue or not at this point. Can a controller be tested off the cart? Any ideas of how to get this fixed????

Last edited by campscruizer; 09-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: corrected dates
campscruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help~Cart dies intermittently then will run again once it sits

Sounds like your stock control is going into thermal shut down sooner and harder each time. You need to replace it with a bigger, higher amp controller.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the club. Something is getting hot, and shutting down. I'm trying my solenoid. Your Solenoid, controller, or F&R switch need to be looked at. The experts will be along shortly to help you trouble shoot. Good luck, and keep us posted.
redfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
campscruizer
Not Yet Wild

Just to add: I have replaced the solenoid within the past year (when I had a different problem from above...at that time I had to toggle the F/R switch to get it to go so I replaced the solenoid and that fixed that problem....toggling the F/R switch doesn't work on the above problem though)
With this problem...when it dies it is like that until you let it sit awhile then it will go again for a bit then the whole cycle starts again. (you don't have to charge it, just let it sit)

In reply to ScottyB's post above: Does it matter what type of controller...as long as it has higher amps than what I currently have??? Any certain type that is going to last longer than what I have??, if that ends up bring the problem?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Toggling the F&R or the RUN/TOW switch is turning the controller off/on. Basically it is rebooting the control. Typically this works for awhile but eventually it stops working and the solenoid will no longer activate the solenoid. Your only choice is a bigger, better Controller and solenoid. I like the Alltrax controls 400 amps is usually enough for the PDS carts unless you are interested in aftermarket torque motors or high speed?
Take a look at controller pkg #808 on my website, that will give you an idea of what is needed.

Click on the Scottyb link below. Then speed controller packages
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There might be more going on here than just the controller going into thermal cut-off.

Granted, it take a lot of amps to turn those huge tires, so the controller is most likely rebelling, but a couple other things ought to wave some red flags, or at least yellow ones.

T-605 batteries are sub-standard for a stock cart with stock tire height and this cart's tires are about 30% taller than stock.
(Sub-standard capacity, not sub-standard quality - good batteries - wrong size for this application)

Lights dimming when about to fail. To me, this indicates a battery capacity and/or a high current cable issues.

Cable from positive post of battery pack getting warm to touch, but not hot.
None of the 10 high current cable should be getting very warm. If they are, they are too small of gauge for the application.
Not mentioned one way or the other, but both the main positive cable from the battery pack and the main negative are about the same length and have the same current flow through them, so they should be about the same temperature. Could be dirty/corroded connections.

Battery charger always goes to 4A and stays there. Without knowing which charger (Make and Model), I don't know for sure, but the typical cart charger starts in the 15 to 20 Amps range and tapers off to about 8A. might be some charging issues.

Also, the date of manufacture should be listed on your motor. Here's a picture of mine before I installed 2Ga cables.
If it isn't printed on the label, the serial number should tell you if it was built before or after Apr-07 when mine was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Label.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
campscruizer
Not Yet Wild

More info to answer questions above:

Motor date read: 09/13/2005 (which just floors me that I bought a custom cart built in 2010 and it has a 2005 dated motor in it)

Have 4 gauge cables.

My charger is a EZGO Powerwise 2

From what I'm gathering from reading so far...most (if not all) of what is on this cart isn't enough to handle the lifted cart and tires? Am I still ok with changing out the Contoller and Solenoid? Or is a different motor as well as different batteries and cables going to be called for?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not certain on what you have or on what you want the cart to be able to do in terms of performance.... is it for 2 people or 4? On or off road? Hilly or flat? And desired speed?

For the most part, I hear from lots of people who buy 'custom' carts only to find that everything under the seat is stock Here is what you will need to run the average custom cart :
upgraded controller, solenoid, cables, & F&R. That's the basics. If you skip any part of this that skipped part is where you will have a failure in the future, I hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
campscruizer
Not Yet Wild

Typically there is just 2 people, but sometimes there is 3-4. RV Park is pretty hilly, not much flat area, but not 4wheeling it by no means.

I just want to get it back running, without the issue that I'm having in the first post.
But I don't want to overlook anything either and found out I spent a bunch just to have ruined the new stuff because I didn't upgrade something else. Just needed to know what current parts can still remain with a new controller and seloniod, or which needed to also be changed so I don't ruin a new controller.

You mentioned the cables, & F&R...any recommendations on them as to type/cost? What are you talking, to upgrade to a 2gauge? Thought the F&R was just a switch, how can there be an upgrade to that? Hopefully I can give you a call on Monday when you open and get the controller pgk ordered and on it way, just seeing what else I need to add at the same time to get this thing fixed.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine ended up being the solenoid. It would run fine for 20 minutes, and then stop responding.
redfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO