lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Sk8ter40
Not Yet Wild

Default noise from motor/diff

I have a 1999 electric club car 48V with a 36 volt motor PN 102237401 Model number 5BC58JBS6362 2.97hp. There is a noise coming from the diff or motor when the motor is either going very slow (low load) or when speed tops out and the load drops off (going down hill). No noise when under acceleration Every thread I have read indicates the guide ring is the problem but the guide ring is new. In the service manual all diagrams show a motor which has a guide ring that is actually mounted into the end of the armature and secured with a snap ring. My motor does not have this recess and the guide ring simply slides onto the input shaft of the Diff. In my opinion there is too much slop between the armature and input shaft. The rear end Diff is a Kawasaki MC008k8J1420 Diff with planetary gears which feels pretty tight. Is this the correct guide ring setup for this rear end? If there is play between the end of the armature and the input shaft(guide ring not sanwiched between the two) can this be the problem? I cannot tell if it is the motor or the diff. I will measure and do a stack up to see how much slop I really have and try to shim it to see if the sound changes? Any ideas?
Sk8ter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: noise from motor/diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ter40 View Post
I have a 1999 electric club car 48V with a 36 volt motor PN 102237401 Model number 5BC58JBS6362 2.97hp. There is a noise coming from the diff or motor when the motor is either going very slow (low load) or when speed tops out and the load drops off (going down hill). No noise when under acceleration Every thread I have read indicates the guide ring is the problem but the guide ring is new. In the service manual all diagrams show a motor which has a guide ring that is actually mounted into the end of the armature and secured with a snap ring. My motor does not have this recess and the guide ring simply slides onto the input shaft of the Diff. In my opinion there is too much slop between the armature and input shaft. The rear end Diff is a Kawasaki MC008k8J1420 Diff with planetary gears which feels pretty tight. Is this the correct guide ring setup for this rear end? If there is play between the end of the armature and the input shaft(guide ring not sanwiched between the two) can this be the problem? I cannot tell if it is the motor or the diff. I will measure and do a stack up to see how much slop I really have and try to shim it to see if the sound changes? Any ideas?
The normal fix for a 48v 1999 would be a "motor centering kit" part # AM10039 but with you having a 36v motor on a 48v cart I am not sure whether its the right fix
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Iam having same problem in my 98 changed the guide ring and still have the noise.
crs4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Sk8ter40
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input, today I found that there is supposed to be a "bumper" in the bottom of the of the armature spline. Mine is apprently missing but there is alot of rubber pieces floating around the housing. Apparently this is part of the centering kit. Based on the stack up there is a .195" between the bottom of the female spline and the end of the input shaft when assembled and a .155" gap between the end of the armature and the guide ring on the input shaft. Not sure what is supposed to fill this gap. I will try the bumper and see what happens.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Where can you find this centering kit at ? Can't seem to find it anywhere .
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Sk8ter40
Not Yet Wild

Hope I am not committing a cardinal sin by giving the info below but I could not find this Motor centering kit anywhere. I must have looked for several hours. Anyway I found it at golfcartsdirect Item INT-2013052018. I have not recieved a shipping confirmation yet so there is a chance it is not in stock. No mention at check out.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Hope I am not committing a cardinal sin by giving the info below but I could not find this Motor centering kit anywhere. I must have looked for several hours. Anyway I found it at golfcartsdirect Item INT-2013052018. I have not recieved a shipping confirmation yet so there is a chance it is not in stock. No mention at check out.
Thank you much ....
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Before fitting the kit read the thread of 06.23.2011 quote " fitting a motor bumper ring to a 1999 DS " unquote. If its not in stock you should be able to order one from your nearest Club Car agent.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
briparts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the kits do not always work,even though that is where the noise is coming from,in fact I have seen it make it worse.I now machine my own centering kits from aluminum and you do not need the spline,simply size the id of the part to the top of the motor spine and press it in as you would with the fiber one
briparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Sk8ter40
Not Yet Wild

IN the fix the you described to talk about a "fiber Spline"? Is this the spline/guide ring that slips into the end of the motor shaft? If so my model is a GE and does not have this ring guide that fits in the end of the motor shaft. I purchased a rubber bumper that goes between the motor shaft and the input shaft. The noise initially went away but slowly came back at a lower level. In my set up there is nothing that removes any slop or adds pretension to the fit between the mating shafts. No guide ring for a tight fit. There is some movement bewteen the male and female portions of the spline and the result appears to be the noise of these two components rattling against one another when the load is taken off the drive train.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car