lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Jkirisits
Not Yet Wild

Default My new to me piece of junk

I just got a mid 80's clubcar, 36v. I am guessing a mid 80's due to the 5 relays in the back. All batteries are junk, and the box that the throttle rod connects to is broke. So basically I have a frame with a motor.

To me, this seems like a perfect time to upgrade to 6-8volt batteries, a solid state drive system, and new brushes in motor.

Does this seem reasonable?
Is this an easy change over?

Thanks.

John
Jkirisits is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: My new to me piece of junk

the old carts are fun to work on as for converting to 48v solid state drive system ... others will have to advise you
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

John,
I did with my 1979 CC exactly what you're proposing, only stayed with 36 volts. It worked out well so far, but I've not really tested it severely, just light running around the yard.

Don't forget to check the brakes and change oil in the differential. Also, repack the front wheel bearings.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
John,
Don't forget to check the brakes and change oil in the differential. Also, repack the front wheel bearings.
check bushings and grease ball joints
Old 05-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Jkirisits
Not Yet Wild

I would have never thought to check the oil and bearings. Thanks!!
Jkirisits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Before you drop any $$ make very sure that what you plan to salvage is in good shape. Frame, rear end, etc. I would tear it apart and decide what to keep an what to replace. Then do a budget and decide if it's worth it. The cost adds up quickly when you are talking batteries, controller, motor, etc.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

VA,
You're no fun! Just buying something seems so, well, "wrong".

However, you're probably right in that you'll get to the end quicker and probably for not much more $$$. Had I not had the electrical parts 'in stock' and obtained very cheaply, I'd have not attempted my conversion/restoration. Even at that, I didn't realize that the 1979 has hydraulic brakes and they were rather expensive to rebuild.

Speaking of checking/changing the oil: When I get a piece of old equipment, my first move is usually to change all fluids. Pulled the plug in the differential of my old Legend and found it to be dry, with some metal on the magnet. Ended up disassembling it to find the leak and found the innards to be OK, but I did change the oil annually after that, using 80-90 synthetic. The leak turned out to be the motor gasket.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car