lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Blackbeard
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 ezgo pds battery cable upgrade

I have a new to me 2002 ezgo pds 36 volt stock golf cart. I use the cart on flat terrain on paved and dirt roads. The cart is lifted with 22 inch tires. I want to change out the stock battery cables with 2 or 4 guage cables. I will eventually upgrade controller if needed when the stock one quits to a 400 or 500 amp controller and possibly upgrade the motor later on. Are the stock cables sufficient for the stock controller and motor or would heavier cables help performance? Besides the obvious cables that connect the batteries what other cables should I change out? How many high voltage cables are there in a 36 volt pds cart? Should I change the cables that go to the controller and the motor as well? Just wanted to get the most out of my stock cart. Should I go with the 2 guage or 4 gauge? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 ezgo pds battery cable upgrade

If you plan on controller/motor upgrades in the future, you need to go ahead and buy 2 ga. cables, so you only buy cables once. ScottyB has great cables. He also has Alltrax controllers & sells D&D motors. They can be found here:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

Oh yeah.....welcome to BGW!!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are 10 high current cables on a PDS cart with six batteries, 11 with seven batteries and 12 with eight batteries.
Replace all of them with 4Ga or heavier.

The F1&F2 cables from controller to motor only carry about 1/10 the amps as the A1&A2 cables, so they are adequate and don't have to be replaced, unless the insulation is worn where they are routed around the battery frame.

22" tires up the speed by about 20% and reduce torque by same percentage.
Going to a 400A amp aftermarket controller will return the lost torque and unlike with the stock PDS controller, the motor is not limited to 4,400 RPM. so you should see speeds in the 20's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are 10 high current cables on a PDS cart with six batteries, 11 with seven batteries and 12 with eight batteries.
Replace all of them with 4Ga or heavier.

The F1&F2 cables from controller to motor only carry about 1/10 the amps as the A1&A2 cables, so they are adequate and don't have to be replaced, unless the insulation is worn where they are routed around the battery frame.

22" tires up the speed by about 20% and reduce torque by same percentage.
Going to a 400A amp aftermarket controller will return the lost torque and unlike with the stock PDS controller, the motor is not limited to 4,400 RPM. so you should see speeds in the 20's.
So are you saying that F1 and F2 don't need to be replaced? (assuming they are not worn out like in your photo). Therefore, you would only need to replace 8 high amp cables in the TXT PDS?

I also noticed that the stock cable from the controller to the motor (F1, F2) are 4 g cables. Do those need to be increased to 2 g if I wants to increase the other cables to 4 g?
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
So are you saying that F1 and F2 don't need to be replaced? (assuming they are not worn out like in your photo). Therefore, you would only need to replace 8 high amp cables in the TXT PDS?

I also noticed that the stock cable from the controller to the motor (F1, F2) are 4 g cables. Do those need to be increased to 2 g if I wants to increase the other cables to 4 g?
F1 and F2 are not High Current cables, they only carry about 10% to 25% of the amps the High Current cables do, so they are medium current cables. Unless worn or corroded, the stock sized cables (about 8Ga?) should be adequate for use with controllers typically used in upgrades (750A or less)

There are 5 High Current cables that connect the battery pack to the motor via the solenoid and controller; And there 5 High Current cables that interconnect six 6V batteries into a 36V battery pack and one addition High Current cable is needed for each additional battery added to the pack.
Therefore: A 36V system has 10 High Current cables, a 42V system has 11 and a 48V system has 12.

All 10 ( or 11, or 12) High current cable should be at least 4Ga for controllers under 500A and at least 2Ga for 500A controllers and above.

Technically, the A1 and A2 cables carry Total Amps less what is carried by the F1 & F2 cables, but they are the longest cables, so they should be the same size as all the other High Current cable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
F1 and F2 are not High Current cables, they only carry about 10% to 25% of the amps the High Current cables do, so they are medium current cables. Unless worn or corroded, the stock sized cables (about 8Ga?) should be adequate for use with controllers typically used in upgrades (750A or less)

There are 5 High Current cables that connect the battery pack to the motor via the solenoid and controller; And there 5 High Current cables that interconnect six 6V batteries into a 36V battery pack and one addition High Current cable is needed for each additional battery added to the pack.
Therefore: A 36V system has 10 High Current cables, a 42V system has 11 and a 48V system has 12.

All 10 ( or 11, or 12) High current cable should be at least 4Ga for controllers under 500A and at least 2Ga for 500A controllers and above.

Technically, the A1 and A2 cables carry Total Amps less what is carried by the F1 & F2 cables, but they are the longest cables, so they should be the same size as all the other High Current cable.
OK. Thanks. So then if I upgrade the cables to 4 g, can I leave the stock 4g cables from the controller to the motor as is? (Correct me if I am wrong- the stock A1, A2 cables are 4 g aren't they?) They seem to still be in good condition.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Lets go back to YOUR original question.....You stated:

Quote:
I want to change out the stock battery cables with 2 or 4 guage cables. I will eventually upgrade controller if needed when the stock one quits to a 400 or 500 amp controller and possibly upgrade the motor later on.
To give you the best answer and have your cart set up properly.....you need to change out ALL of the high current cables. In the case of your cart there should be 10 of them. they need to be replaced as a SET..... And seeing as how you may upgrade to a 500A controller and/or an aftermarket motor....they will require 2 ga cables. so it best to get a set of 2 ga. cables now and they you are set for future upgrades. I already showed you where to get them, and even posted a link to the exact page and which matched set to get in the other thread.

but just in case.....get you new cable sets from ScottyB at Cartsunlimited.net

and here is the link again.....you really need kit #11 or kit #10 if you are going to go with 4 ga.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Lets go back to YOUR original question.....You stated:

To give you the best answer and have your cart set up properly.....you need to change out ALL of the high current cables. In the case of your cart there should be 10 of them. they need to be replaced as a SET..... And seeing as how you may upgrade to a 500A controller and/or an aftermarket motor....they will require 2 ga cables. so it best to get a set of 2 ga. cables now and they you are set for future upgrades. I already showed you where to get them, and even posted a link to the exact page and which matched set to get in the other thread.
Thanks. This was not my OP, just asking a similar question.

I saw your other post and appreciate the link. When you say matched cables, do you mean matched from the same manufacturer, size and cable age? Or do you just mean size? Because the stock cables from the controller to motor are already 4g. If I upgrade the other cables, then everything will be 4g.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Thanks. This was not my OP, just asking a similar question.

I saw your other post and appreciate the link. When you say matched cables, do you mean matched from the same manufacturer, size and cable age? Or do you just mean size? Because the stock cables from the controller to motor are already 4g. If I upgrade the other cables, then everything will be 4g.
I mean by being MATCHED, the cables are made of the same material, the same age, put together the same way.....it does make a difference. Scotty's are Silver Soldered, not crimped......and are made with High Strand Count cable.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I mean by being MATCHED, the cables are made of the same material, the same age, put together the same way.....it does make a difference. Scotty's are Silver Soldered, not crimped......and are made with High Strand Count cable.
OK. Thanks for the clarification.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO