lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: PowerDrive 3 charging temp high

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattneedsmiles View Post
I guess mine might get hot too if the charge ever lasted more than 30 seconds. Does a melted coating on the side of the transformer mean anything to anyone? It's a PowerDrive 3 I'm dealing with. Some have told me the heat sink(s) might be the issue. Is that an easy enough fix? I've looked, but can't seem to find any details on this repair. The owner manual also doesn't talk about it.

Thanks
. . . a shorted transformer coil will cause circuit breaker to trip . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It is pretty consistent. A friend has a regular PowerDrive and it has no difficulty charging the batteries, regardless of their level of charge.
mattneedsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . a shorted transformer coil will cause circuit breaker to trip . . .
Thanks Steve, do you know how to confirm if there is a short? If it is the transformer, I'm guessing I'm better off replacing the entire charge - right?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

90% of the time, A shorted transformer or rectifier will cause the breaker to trip before 30 seconds of charge time. I'll be you've just got a weak circuit breaker in the charger. I'd try changing that and see if it helps
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
90% of the time, A shorted transformer or rectifier will cause the breaker to trip before 30 seconds of charge time. I'll be you've just got a weak circuit breaker in the charger. I'd try changing that and see if it helps
. . . agree . . . I'd replace both the circuit breaker and the rectifier as they are the two cheapest parts to throw at it (about $35 total from CC dealer) . . . my friend had similar problem, so he thought he would jump out the circuit breaker . . . bad decision . . . smoked the rectifier and associated wires . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I picked up the circuit breaker and 2 heat sinks, but forgot the rectifier. Headed back for it now. Just looked at the circuit breaker and it seems to be larger than the original. Lists a capacity of 20A. This must be for a different charger.

Also, how would a heat sink go bad? If it was going to break, wouldn't I be able to see the problem?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Heat sinks installed, 15A breaker installed... now the charger clicks, but does not draw any amps. Fuse doesn't pop, but nothing else happens either. I'm thinking it may be a situation where the batteries are too low to charge.. that seems to be a commonly discussed topic here. I'm bringing them back up using a float charger and will try again. Has anyone else ever experienced the "single click, nothing happens" issue?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

What's the pack voltage ? Charger only needs 30 something volts to kick on
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattneedsmiles View Post
I picked up the circuit breaker and 2 heat sinks, but forgot the rectifier. Headed back for it now. Just looked at the circuit breaker and it seems to be larger than the original. Lists a capacity of 20A. This must be for a different charger.

Also, how would a heat sink go bad? If it was going to break, wouldn't I be able to see the problem?
Where did you buy the heatsinks? I'm willing to bet you ended up with two of the same heatsinks. That's your problem. People think these chargers have two 1015914 heatsinks in them but they don't. The diodes are completely inverted from one to the other. You need to order a 103517401 Double Diode board. Not "Two" 1015914 heatsinks.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Understood, but wouldn't this "fix" of two of the same heat sinks then replicate the previous issue? Now I have an entirely new and different diagnosis.

Tags
overheating charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car