lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
JimmyFW1
Not Yet Wild

Question Overvolting? Need more info...

I've tried reading a few posts on here & other forums, and I'm getting bits & pieces of the info that I think I need. So I'm going to just come out & ask to be pummeled with knowledge by you guys...

1st, a little history, I've got a 98 48V DS CC, bone stock as far as I know. As I've mentioned in my 1st posts, I got the cart (unsure of any condition other than solid body & frame, it had been sitting with 4 flat tires for 4 years) for $100 cash. I Google'd & desulfonated the batteries, only had to replace 1, pressure washed & took a wire brush to the battery rack & frame, shined the body, and had a "running" cart for my kids for a whopping $168.00 ! ! ! (I was a HERO DADDY!)

That was back in February. After my kids riding the heck out of this thing every day since, I had to replace 2 more of the batteries & had a relay replaced in the charger, and a new set of OEM style cables (mine were old & brittle). So, $140 more invested. I'm still WAY ahead in my book...

HERE's the meat of the thread:
Since I have not lifted the cart, & probably won't, my thoughts are to give them a little more power to play with. I've read about putting a 36V motor in a 48V cart (and I understand you need a new controller & #4 wires to really make this work effectively). Which is essentially overvolting, right?

What about keeping my 48V motor, & replacing my 8V packs with 12V packs, creating 72V of power to the 48V motor. I understand that it may decrease the overall life of the motor, but 48V motor cores are easier to find than 36V cores, IMHO... Would I "have" to upgrade anything else? I know I probably "should", but we all know that's a different topic altogether...

THANKS!
JimmyFW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Overvolting? Need more info...

I'm no pro but I don't think you can do the 72 volts the the 48v motor and there's a lot more upgrades you would have to do... Controler, solenoid, forward reverse switch and at least #2 cable pluss a motor that would handle the 72 volt pack. With that being said I have a 36 volt series motor I been thinking about selling
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

You cannot run 72 volts on a 48 volt system, you can however replace your 48 volt motor with a 36 volt motor, and "over rev" it with absolutely no problem.

I would not recommend using 12 volt batteries in any configuration due to a poor run time, versus 8 volt or 6 volt battery packs

you could however use two 12 volt batts and do a boost on top of the 48volts
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
JimmyFW1
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: Overvolting? Need more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcedout View Post
...With that being said I have a 36 volt series motor I been thinking about selling
PM me, we need to chat...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
JimmyFW1
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Overvolting? Need more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
You cannot run 72 volts on a 48 volt system, you can however replace your 48 volt motor with a 36 volt motor, and "over rev" it with absolutely no problem.
OK, I thought I'd read somewhere that you could run 72 volts into a 48V motor. I wonder if it was a different type cart I was reading about, like an EZ-GO or something...

Quote:
I would not recommend using 12 volt batteries in any configuration due to a poor run time, versus 8 volt or 6 volt battery packs
I wasn't talking about 12V car batteries, but 12V cart batteries like they use in the newer CC carts. I would "think" that they would hold up as well as the older style 6V & 8V batteries, but I am no expert. That's why I come here for more knowledge...

Quote:
So are you suggesting that I replace 2 of the 8V with 12V batts,
or adding 2 more 12V to the 6 8V that I'm already running?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
JimmyFW1
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Overvolting? Need more info...

Quote:
Because if you're saying adding 2 more batts to the pack, I can either think of it being too much weight to counteract the benefit, OR if I'm wrong on that thinking, a GO BABY GO! button/switch to pump the additional power when needed...
Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFW1 View Post
OK, I thought I'd read somewhere that you could run 72 volts into a 48V motor. I wonder if it was a different type cart I was reading about, like an EZ-GO or something...
Yes, just like a 36 volt motor on a 48 v olt system

Yes, I know you were talking about 12v cart batteries, the more lead, the more run time, kinda like " theres no replacement for displacement"

No, don't replace the batteries in the pack, add to it, but you keep it separate, look In the extreme Dc section , but uses AT YOUR OWN RISK, and yes on the go baby button
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Yes, just like a 36 volt motor on a 48 v olt system

Yes, I know you were talking about 12v cart batteries, the more lead, the more run time, kinda like " theres no replacement for displacement"

No, don't replace the batteries in the pack, add to it, but you keep it separate, look In the extreme Dc section , but uses AT YOUR OWN RISK, and yes on the go baby button
I have to admit, as soon as he said "GO BABY GO," I thought of the momentary boost setup. I've kind of always wanted to try it, but never have gotten the nerve to do it. Here's the link:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...ler-boost.html
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car