lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Making sense of existing light kit (tail/brake)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The normal resting position of the frame switch is "pressed", therefore the NC contacts will be "open". When you press the pedal, the plunger is no longer pressed and the NC contacts close again.
Exactly, NC stands for "Normally Closed", so when the plunger is out, the circuit is closed
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
When I installed my brake lights, it took a good 30 minutes of thinking to figure out the circuit, so you are in the same boat I was in...
I wish I could find a diagram for the circuit, but you will figure it out.
The switch under the pedal is pushed in when the brake pedal is not depressed, then when you step on it, the switch plunger comes out, and closes the circuit, turning on the brake lights.
So basically with the plunger depressed, the lights are out; plunger not depressed, lights on.
As for the parking brake switch, it is the same way; plunger out lights on, plunger depressed, lights out.

I think that's how it goes, but honestly the best thing to do would to play with the circuit on your bench with a 12v battery until it works properly.
Once you have it, you will have a celebration (like I did).
The instructions that came with my kit were terrible, I basically had to figure out which wires went where all on my own

You'll get it, just takes some patience. Are you putting on a brand new kit?

Bench testing was my plan. I am fixing an existing kit so it's a bit more complicated. I was trying to replace like for like but it looks like the power to the brake switch portion is dead so I will find the source of where the power should come from and double check it. Worst case I just power off of the headlight circuit and add a few feet of my own wire and not the 10 year old light kit harness that is on the cart currently.
yetti96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
crash test dummy

basicly the one on the pedal closes the power path when pedal is pushed and the lock opens the same path cutting power

Last edited by crash test dummy; 10-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: photo
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I got the switches installed last night and realized that the bottom switch was to be installed with the switch/plunger depressed, when you hit the brakes it releases the switch and the contacts go from open to closed. I just needed to jack my cart up and get my fat head under there. I just didn't think a switch would start off in the "pressed" condition (narrow minded I guess).

Lovely diagram CTD, thanks for the visualization. Tonight I tackle getting power to the switch and then tracing the right wire to the back of the cart to hook up a new LED brake light bar and get registered for my community.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So is this related to the tailights/brake lights at all? What is it?

It is in the middle of the battery pack, towards the front, below the tow/run switch.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
crash test dummy

thats the factory fuse box
Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
thats the factory fuse box
Ahh ok, because as I was talking about the brake circuit confusion last time I have a brown (dark brown or black) wire that runs from the brake area up to a relay that is turned on with the key (switched power), I just can’t get a voltage reading on it to find where the wire is getting power from (assuming the relay is allowing power through, not a switched ground circuit). That is the wire that I was assuming was feeding power to the brakes so that way as long as the key was on, the brakes would work.
Down where the brake circuit is with the brown wire is a green wire that I can trace and I believe it goes into that factory fuse box. I look at this diagram and see the green wire in it, but not too sure as to where the factory fuse box fits in this diagram.

I think I will just grab my power from the yellow wire the feeds the power to my headlights and put it through the brake switches and find the black wire that is my brake wire at the tail lights and use some Frankenstein version of the existing wire harness. Thoughts on that? I’m not 100% thrilled with it, but it could work.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
crash test dummy

yea the fuse pox was for the lights
mine the key is neg and it turns brakes off
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So if that relayed wire is ground (as I think it is), how in the world is the brake supposed to work as I have already found the common ground at the brake lights. Maybe I am discovering other wires that do other things? It just seemed logical that 2 wires were exposed at the brake switch circuit it would be for feeding power to the brake lights. I will give it a try my way and if it works, great...if not I have some head scratching to do.

Thanks for the help CTD, I owe you a cold one if you get down this way or if I end up your way.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
crash test dummy

now you got me wondering ... sooo i check .. if i turn off key all lights go off
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car