lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
tryathlete2011
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor swap assistance

Hey all. I just ordered a new motor for my '09 Precedent from EMP. I did a search and couldn't find any walkthroughs to really get a feeling how difficult of a process it is. Can anyone point me to any info on how difficult it is to swap a motor with limited tools and mechanical skills.

Do I need to remove the seats / body?

Do I need to put my cart on jack stands or ramps to get under?

Thanks
tryathlete2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor swap assistance

Put vehicle in TOW MODE. Disconnect batteries main + and main -. Put cart on stands. From underneath, take note of what color wires go to what posts on motor. Remove nuts using TWO wrenches....one used on lower nut to prevent twisting of post, and one on top nut to remove. Once wires are off, there are 3 bolts holding motor on and one bracket. Remove those. Now that motor is loose, grab firmly and twist and pull motor off. BE CAREFUL as it is VERY HEAVY and may seem stuck.

Put new motor on in reverse. BE SURE NOT TO TWIST TERMINALS ON MOTOR....use two wrenches to prevent twisting posts.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I agree with Blade, that is the general method and it's how I do it, but I want to stress one thing. BE CAREFUL when pulling it off because it is HEAVY and awkward to get down out of there. Try not to have your head under it when pulling it out, because if you would happen to drop it and it fell on your head you would be out like a light.

EDIT: In answer to your question about how easy this is, it's easy unless the motor is stuck, then it's a #%&*! to get off. On an 09 cart, however, it should come right off, so you won't have to worry. It is very doable with limited tools and knowledge, just don't twist the terminals in the motor, be sure to use two wrenches as Blade said. For a first timer, should take you 45 minutes to an hour tops.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
tryathlete2011
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. Was on the fence over whether to tackle it myself or find a way to get it to a shop. Doesn't sound too scary as long as I can avoid getting my head bashed in.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've read that if you take the rear bolts out of the rear springs the axle and motor will swing down so you won't be working above your head. But if it was me I would take the rear body off. That way if anything gets away the only thing that will get hit is the ground. You can also remove the motor thru the rear access port. Don't know about putting it back on that way.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
ProSouth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryathlete2011 View Post
Hey all. I just ordered a new motor for my '09 Precedent from EMP. I did a search and couldn't find any walkthroughs to really get a feeling how difficult of a process it is. Can anyone point me to any info on how difficult it is to swap a motor with limited tools and mechanical skills.

Do I need to remove the seats / body?

Do I need to put my cart on jack stands or ramps to get under?

Thanks
Hey there I've done this several times on an 09 CCP
Disconnect the batteries as stated , place vehicle in tow mode
If you have a rear flip seat remove the part that flips and also remove
The plastic base . Now you can access the rear panel . Remove and
Lable all wires from motor as stated . Grab a leather belt and loop around center of motor
Passing through buckel and sinch tight now you have a secure handle . Remove bolts as described . You can now use belt to help loose motor from shaft . It will come out through rear acess panel . Reverse with your new motor . Plumquick welds a handle that makes the belt unnecessary . Its tight however will work and much easier an safer than being under cart .good luck
ProSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
tryathlete2011
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSouth View Post
Hey there I've done this several times on an 09 CCP
Disconnect the batteries as stated , place vehicle in tow mode
If you have a rear flip seat remove the part that flips and also remove
The plastic base . Now you can access the rear panel . Remove and
Lable all wires from motor as stated . Grab a leather belt and loop around center of motor
Passing through buckel and sinch tight now you have a secure handle . Remove bolts as described . You can now use belt to help loose motor from shaft . It will come out through rear acess panel . Reverse with your new motor . Plumquick welds a handle that makes the belt unnecessary . Its tight however will work and much easier an safer than being under cart .good luck

Thanks ProSouth. I had been hoping to be able to do it through the access panel. I do have the rear flip seat, so removing that is no problem. But Im confused by what you mean by the plastic base. Can you explain or post a pic? Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
ProSouth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryathlete2011 View Post
Thanks ProSouth. I had been hoping to be able to do it through the access panel. I do have the rear flip seat, so removing that is no problem. But Im confused by what you mean by the plastic base. Can you explain or post a pic? Thanks
Sure its no problem , "plastic base" depends on what brand of rear seat you have for example Madjax has 2 bolts that hold the rear flip section and then for easier access to the rear panel you would also remove the black plastic front section "plastic base" that the seat flips and rest on . This will enable you to get right to the panel , you will still have the metal cross section "frame" but you can work around that , make sure you use a leather belt and it cinches tight on the center of the motor and this will use the weight of the motor to keep a tight grip. when bolts are removed ( there are 3 on top side (same size) and another lower at motor base . Total of 4 bolts securing motor . remember to place in tow remove the main negative and positive cables . Label wires to motor terminals before removal and use electrical tape on the ends after removal , this wiring harness can then simply hang down out of the way during motor removal and re -install. the motor will spin however will still seem "stuck" on shaft you may need to use a plastic wedge between axle housing and motor to start it moving , then the belt will help you remove from shaft without it falling . apply grease to inside of new motor shaft before installing . line up with axle mounting holes and start bolts using hands to prevent stripping , then slowly evenly tighten all bolts .
ProSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
tryathlete2011
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, motor got delivered today and I'm midway through the install and need some help. I got the old motor our without too much difficulty. Took some coaxing to get it off the shaft but not terrible. Getting the new motor on the shaft however has proved much more difficult. The belt trick has helped a bunch but I can't get it lined up and on the shaft enough to start a screw. Any tips? Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remove the body. It's only about an hour extra work. It could save a lot of grief especially if you drop the motor, cross thread a screw, mess up the spline bust your knuckles etc etc.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car