lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New cart, RXV or TXT?

I have driven 2013 versions of both carts on longish (3-4 miles) test drives. My observations are pretty much the same as the others have said. I would add two things: 1. The RXV can be configured with 6x8v batteries. For a new one, my local dealer doesn't charge additional for the conversion. This might not be true for your dealer. 2. The RXV does't slow down when climbing hills. When the terrain starts to incline, the RXV just walks away from all the other DC powered carts. I get passed by them daily.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
kgsc,
The F/R switch location is from the EZ-Go web site.

I hadn't noticed the difference in suspension types, thanks for pointing that out.

Leaving the tailgate down on the truck is out of the question, as I usually have my travel trailer connected when I'm hauling the cart. Besides, it CAN'T fall out if the tailgate is closed. :-)

It appears as though the RXV uses the motor for the service brakes. That's kinda cool, there should be no "wear out" or adjustment to that arrangement.

How does the range and torque compare, RXV vs. TXT. And, how does it compare to my old CC series cart? That thing will easily spin the wheels on smooth concrete.

As far as buying new vs. used: I've been buying and repairing junk my whole life. Now, at 70 years old, no kids, a wife with Alzheimer's, and a decent portfolio, I'm realizing that I really should enjoy life a bit. You may have noticed that they don't put trailer hitches on hearses.
Ezgo's site must be showing a series cart or they moved the FnR switch.

I haul mine in my 6 1/2 bed all the time with the gate removed but make sure she is strapped in. Have thought about some safety chains but haven't done that.

The RXV being a 3 phase AC motor it is a torquey thing and like was said it rarely slows on hits.

As for new, understood. I am just cheap if there are any good dealers in your area see what a good "rebuilt" one would run. Not trying to talk you out of new but a late model PDS cart with a 400 amp controller like an Alltrax or upgraded Curtis, new cables, new batteries, hd solenoid and wires would be pretty bullet proof and I would think much cheaper.

Again these are all your decisions but just trying to help a fellow carter out
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A couple of additional thoughts. Awhile back my local dealer had some FACTORY refurbished 09 RXV's with the 6x8v batteries, long roof, rear seat, lights etc. They were under $5k for an essentially "new" cart with warranty. Note that "factory" refurbished is different than "dealer" refurbished. For me this would be a reasonable option instead of a new one. Probably save ~3k. These may be hard to find however.
Also there are some companies that make a flip up rear foot rest which might make it possible to fit a 4 pac cart in the bed with the tailgate up. I have seen them on CC's and Polaris in both metal and plastic versions. Thats all I know about them but they do exist.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

kgsc,
I understand what you're saying about being cheap, er, frugal. Been that way my entire life, and that's why I now can consider a brand-new cart w/o worrying about the cost. My goal is to get something I don't need to wrench and will be the best, no compromise.

Kernal,
Thanks for the information on the foldup foot rest, I'll definitely check into that.

Will probably buy the cart from my cousin, who is an EZ-Go dealer. Unfortunately, he's 2 states and 250 miles from here. I've sent an email to him asking for a quote.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well I typed a nice long reply and my browser ate it

It appears EZ-Go has moved the FnR switch for the new TXT carts. Kinda looks like a Club Car Will admit though, that is were I moved mine to. Most of mine are gas and got tired of reaching for a switch that wasn't there
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

kgsc,
I've had the browser eat a message, but also just hide it somehow. Naturally, I only found it after typing a new one. :-(

Anyway, my cousin called and agreed with the advice here: the RXV is the way to go. He says the initial brake problems are fixed, and I'll love the way the cart rides & drives. He also did some checking and found a rear seat/utility bed outfit with a folding foot rest, so it'll go in the back of my p/u. Apparently it has lights & horn included. I did send an email asking about a voltage reducer, as I definitely want one on the cart, whether I install it or he does. He also says that I'll be very pleased with the range & performance, even with the standard 12 volt batteries. According to what Kernal wrote, I kinda gather that I can replace those with 6, 8-volt jobs when the time comes, and if I see fit.

It should be a couple of weeks, as he has to get the rear seat dealy in and install it. He'll deliver it when the time comes.

Are there any 'gotchas' that I should be on the lookout for?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Any chance you'll need it to be street legal? If so, requirements seem to vary from state to state. Some need seat belts, some need turn signals, some need brake lights, some just tail lights, mine requires a dorky triangular reflector, some require an orange strobe on top, etc.

Most can be added later, but the more you can get factory wired, the better, especially since money is no object.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
crash test dummy

a soc (state of charge) meter will be a great add on
Old 10-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I believe the cart comes with some sort of SOC meter. Although I shouldn't be driving it on the street much, if any, an SMV triangle will suffice if I do.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

jd - I see you are in Michigan also.

The Gov just signed a new law on Sept 25th that allows ORVs
(incl golf carts) to operate on the right side of some roads.
This was permitted in the North 2/3 of MI before but now it is all 83 counties.

Now that the law has passed it is up to each county or municipality
whether to allow or not and they have to have meetings and vote on it.
So it might be a while.

You do not have to make your cart street legal but will need an ORV sticker and headlight and taillight - and yes you will need the lights even if you only operate in daytime.

Try this link for one of the laws.
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4299
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO