lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
dale earnhart
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt charger question

Hello,
I have a 36 volt ez cart, I put 3- 12volt marine battery in series. I plug a ez go total charger (output 36 volt 21 ADC 18 cell ampere hr 240) into it. The last battery in series was reading 17.2 volts. It seen way to much so i unplug the charger. What would make a high charging reading? Can i use the charger on 3 new 12 volt deep cycle battery? Thank You
dale earnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt charger question

Your marine batteries probably don't have near the capacity of a golf cart battery. You may have one or two of the batteries that are discharged more than the one that is over voltage. One or two may even be bad. This results in more current flow and the one that is the most charged will get a rise in voltage. It would be advisable to charge all three separately with a 12V charger and then test them. If you have 3 new batteries, you should be able to charge them with the cart charger, but you will need to monitor the voltage and stop the charge when the voltage reaches 15V. Your batteries may have a different max voltage, though, so I would research them and find out what it is. You will also be very disappointed in the range you will get with these batteries in a cart!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

EZGO had several chargers they called a Total Charge.
Does it look like one of the two attached pictures?

If so, it should shut off when the On-Charge voltage (Across the three 12 batteries in this case) reaches into the 44 to 46 Volt range or about 14.7 to 15.3 volts across each 12V battery.

The 17.2V across one of them is mighty high. Probable a bad battery or very low on water.

Three 12V batteries do add up to 36V, but three 12V marine batteries has far less storage capacity then the six deep cycle 6V batteries the cart was designed for, so the run-time will be less and the batteries will have to be replaced sooner.

You wouldn't happen to make mostly left turns when you drive, or is the name just similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Charge Green Face.jpg (56.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TotalCharge -Green Face.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

If so, it should shut off when the On-Charge voltage (Across the three 12 batteries in this case) reaches into the 44 to 46 Volt range or about 14.7 to 15.3 volts across each 12V battery.

The 17.2V across one of them is mighty high. Probable a bad battery or very low on water.

Three 12V batteries do add up to 36V, but three 12V marine batteries has far less storage capacity then the six deep cycle 6V batteries the cart was designed for, so the run-time will be less and the batteries will have to be replaced sooner.

You wouldn't happen to make mostly left turns when you drive, or is the name just similar.
LOL.........
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
dale earnhart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Your marine batteries probably don't have near the capacity of a golf cart battery. You may have One or two may even be bad. This results in more current flow and the one that is the most charged will get a rise in voltage. It would be advisable to charge all three separately with a 12V charger and then test them. If you have 3 new batteries, you should be able to charge them with the cart charger, but you will need to monitor the voltage and stop the charge when the voltage reaches 15V. Your batteries may have a different max voltage, though, so I would research them and find out what it is. You will also be very disappointed in the range you will get with these batteries in a cart!
Yes. one or two of the batteries that are discharged more than the one that is over voltage. They are new battery less then 3 months old. I will charge each one separately and try the 36 volt charger. I thought 13.5 volts was the max, for a marine battery, Thanks for your help simple man.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
dale earnhart
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: 36 volt charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

Im 95% sure it is the 2nd grey charger JohnnieB. But i forgot to tell you guys that the battery cable i replace in series is twice the size of what was on it. I think it 1/0 wire strand. I thinking this could be a problem? And yes left turns and pedal to the metal. I have a 3 on my pickup truck and a swear people wont pass me, Go figure.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale earnhart View Post
Im 95% sure it is the 2nd grey charger JohnnieB. But i forgot to tell you guys that the battery cable i replace in series is twice the size of what was on it. I think it 1/0 wire strand. I thinking this could be a problem? And yes left turns and pedal to the metal. I have a 3 on my pickup truck and a swear people wont pass me, Go figure.
Larger cables are a good thing, but remember, that to gain the most benefit they all should be changed. (solenoid, motor, and Forward/reverse switch)
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
dale earnhart
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the inform,simple man. Made up smaller cables today and still got a high reading(16.9) on the last battery before the ground. I charged each battery with a 12 v. charge and got 12.6 on each. If i have a parasite drain disconnect the negative on the last battery?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO