lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
outlawmarine
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 G2 wont stop?

OK, I received a 89 G2 golf cart and I was going to fix it and give it to my kids

It has new batteries but would not move. We wired around the key switch and put in a toggle switch on the solenoid Now it runs, but it wants to coast, no stop. Forward and Reverse work fine.

We have the pedal adjusted and all looks well with the speed control. It is coasting very slow, it acts as if someone is pushing the accelerator down just a little.

What could be wrong? I can not find anything by searching.
outlawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 1989 G2 wont stop?

If you put a toggle switch on the wires that "activate" the solenoid, in that situation ,with the toggle switch on, the solenoid would always be activated. Thats what the "stop switch" at the accelrator pedal does, only activates the solenoid when the pedal is pushed. Hope that makes sence to you.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
outlawmarine
Not Yet Wild

Actually that makes perfect sense. I had one of my guys work on it, and now I see what is wrong. So the pedal activates the solenoid, not the key switch, like on newer carts.

So I am assuming the switch on the pedal is not working. So as soon as you hit the accelerator, it activates the solenoid and it is in SLOW until you go to the next stage on the speed control. Are these old Yamaha's decent? It drives great.
These older carts are so different.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The old yamahas are pretty much tough-as-nails. Looks like you are on the right track. As long as the "wiper board" part of the speed control is in decent shape (it doesnt make loud racheting sounds when pressing and releasing gas pedal), you will probably be good to go for quite awhile.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
outlawmarine
Not Yet Wild

Thank you smallblock450sl. We did not check the switch on the pedal. That was it. Works fine. We are just not used to these old carts. That resistor coil makes me laugh. IT is amazing how things have changed. They should have mounted that up top to heat your coffee. But you know what it drives great. My kids will love it, once I knock the ugly off. We have a GEM E4 and a Ruff and Tuff at the lake and the Ruff & Tuff is DANGEROUS fast and I love the Gem, this will be perfect for them.

Thanks again, by the way your cart is awesome. I love the Shelby paint job. Very nice.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
outlawmarine
Not Yet Wild

cgtech, no the wiper board is perfect. It reminds me of my old RC cars. Actually it is the same thing, before they went digital. It is smooth and shows to be in great shape. The Yamaha drives very smooth, compared to a old EZGO or club car.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha