lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #11
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need advice on an off-road cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Where are you located,I'm sure a member here could help you get the chassis fixed,and assist with upgrades.If you were near here,Bring it in,I'm cheap-help,I work for food!!
I'm way down in AL, a little too far to bring it to you. But thanks for the offer!

I saw a 2007 TXT with no batteries and no controller yesterday. It was sitting at a cart place that is going out of business. The owner is supposed to be there today.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I saw a 2007 TXT with no batteries and no controller yesterday. It was sitting at a cart place that is going out of business. The owner is supposed to be there today.
Sounds like a good starting point, if the price is right.

The trick is to figure out what you want the cart to do and then build towards that goal.
The text at the top of this webpage is a pretty good overview of the things to take into consideration: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Look for frame rust, (the battery tray is replaceable), bent or dented underpinnings, weak or broken shocks/springs, (most likely on the driver side), and any signs of electrical damage. Some signs might be burn spots at the cable mounts, melted covers or insulation.
In this area of the country, $300 would be fair IF everything else is good. Keep in mind, you're buying a possibility. Ask him to test the motor for you. Just lift the rear wheels and hook a couple jumper cables to the motor. It won't turn fast but it will be enough to see if it works at all.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in jacksonville. U can bring it here and weld it up for free or if u need help with anything. Ive gotten pretty good at repairing a golf cart thru these last few years.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks for all the advice. How can I tell if a cart has a series motor? Got a friend of a relative who is a dealer and he's trying to sell me a 2012 EXGO TXT, but it has a PDS motor. He promises it will climb any hill, but I've already read enough to be skeptical. There are some steep hills around here.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Thanks for all the advice. How can I tell if a cart has a series motor? Got a friend of a relative who is a dealer and he's trying to sell me a 2012 EXGO TXT, but it has a PDS motor. He promises it will climb any hill, but I've already read enough to be skeptical. There are some steep hills around here.
A series cart will have a direction selector lever next to the driver's right knee and under the seat, the direction selector lever is connected to a rod that goes the a switch assembly with four heavy cables attached to it. The direction selector on a PDS cart is a rocker switch on the dash. Also, a PDS cart will have a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover.
Here is a drawing that is helpful for identifying pre-2010 models.

The 48V 2012 TXT PDS (actually a PDS-II or a TCT) uses a different controller than the Pre-2010 36V PDS, and you will have few, if any, options about what controller you use.

I have steep hills where I live and set up the way it is (shown in my signature block), my 2008 PDS will climb any hill, just as long as the rear tires don't loose traction or the front tires lift off the ground dangerously far. I don't believe the same can be said for a stock 2012 PDS and I'm not sure if a 2012 PDS can be upgraded to do so, however any Pre-2010 PDS can be modified to do so, and more.

On the other hand, a PDS cart does not like to creep along at slow speeds. A series cart is better suited for driving around open fields and towing things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow256 View Post
I live in jacksonville. U can bring it here and weld it up for free or if u need help with anything. Ive gotten pretty good at repairing a golf cart thru these last few years.
Woodrow, that's a generous offer and I may take you up on it. If someone can repair the old cart I'd love to get it done. Even if I buy a new one, I'd love to keep the old one running. But I am starting to get new cart fever. I've had new truck fever several times, but this is my first case of new cart fever. Reading this site isn't helping any. :)

I've been turkey hunting this week on some land so steep the old resistor cart wouldn't climb it. Going and buying a powerful new cart that would climb anything is starting to sound appealing.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
coosa
Gone Wild

JohnnieB, I think I have it now. Thanks for the detailed reply! It sounds like a series cart has a F/R switch that is about the same as my old resistor cart. From all you have told me, I'm thinking I need to hold out for one with a series motor. I want something that will climb; speed is no issue at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #19
coosa
Gone Wild

I've found a 2008 TXT series cart that looks in good shape, everything works, 2011 batteries with charger. Guy wants $1300, which seems reasonable to me. I think the 8" tires off my old cart will fit it, and I'm sure my new batteries will.

So I would need to purchase and install a lift kit and a new controller. I see the controllers with accessories for sale on here; don't see lift kits. It looks like lift kits cost more for this model than for older ones.

What say ye, cart experts? Only thing I'm really wondering is how hard it is to put on a lift kit. I think my experience with the resistor cart would get me through the rest of it. Am I looking at somewhere around $1000 to fix it up? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well, if the cart is in really good shape, its a good price. as for what you are wanting to do, and how much?
depending on what type of lift you get, either a axle lift or a spindle lift, either will run in the ball park of $300.
you have wheels, a good set of tires will go another $300-$400
your drive train upgrade will require a controller, SD solenoid, HD F&R switch, and a new set of either 4 ga or 2 ga cables. right at $970

so all told....you are looking at roughly $1600 to $1650 for everything.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO