lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Pique
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rack and Pinion Problem

I have 99 TXT and over the weekend when you tried to turn left it skips and won't correct until you manually move the wheels further at which point the steering wheel will continue to turn the wheels. I have the whole rack and pinion assembly off but am at the point of trying to release the rack to check the gear teeth but to do this I believe you have to remove the pinion. I have looked at the gear teeth at both ends of the rack but cannot see any wear that would cause it to skip. If I start the wheels all the way from the left and turn all the way to the right it does not skip, just at that one point when turning to the left. Does anyone know whether the cap that holds the pinion is screwed in or is it pressed in. If is pressed in, what is the best way to pull the cap?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Pique is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Problem

Not sure I'm following you. I removed the whole housing on my '98 and fixed it. Download the manuals in the Stickies.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Pique
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I do have the parts and service manuals but it is unclear as to how the part is held in place. The pinion is a "worm gear" that meshes with the "gear teeth" on the steering rack bar. As the steering wheel turns the pinion gear, it moves the rack bar left or right. I think that one of the "gear teeth" on the rack has become stripped but without having taken it apart on inspection I cannot see any issue. The only way to get the rack bar out is to remove the pinion. The cap that covers the pinion in the housing gives me no indication whether it is threaded in or pressed in to place. The parts manual refers to it as a "Retainer" and the accompanying diagram is of little help. To replace the whole assembly is really costly so I would like to narrow it down to the part that needs changing. So my question is does anyone know how that Retainer is held in place and/or the best method for removing it.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
chriskent85
Gone Wild

it should just slide out when you remove the steering ball joint off
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Pique
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will verify when I get home. I was noticing on the pictures of the replacement parts for the rack that the end has no teeth and is recessed back. When I looked at mine yesterday, I could have sworn that it was not recessed back and the the rack wouldn't pull out unless the pinion was removed. Fingers crossed. Thank you CK85.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I tore my '98 apart and it wasn't too involved. The rack wears in the middle more than the ends. Yours may be so worn it's slipping, without having lost a tooth. I read somewhere that the pinion gear wears just like the rack, so I replaced them both.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO