lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2003 CC motor and solenoid resistor hot

Hi, awesome forum; have learned so much from you all, but am boggled with my cart's issue. It may seem long winded and maybe not relevant, but I will share all info I have in the hopes that one of the experts will see what the issue(s) is.

I have a 2003 48v IQ car with Curtis 1510-5201 stock controller and MCOR. Batteries are 6 months old and check out fine. Cart always ran great, and I don't use it very much. I noticed a few weeks ago that after driving around
for about 30 minutes at slow speeds the motor was hot to the touch. Then last week I noticed the cart would run fine but begin to slow down and surge. I read that it could be the speed sensor and to unplug it and see if it made a difference, which it did not. I checked my connections for loseness and the A2 wire at motor was warm so I checked it for tightness. In doing so I hit the wrench across the A2 and F2 terminals on the motor, and it arced. After that is when I noticed the resistor across the solenoid was getting very hot and the cart would not move. I checked the resistor and it is around 500 Ohms. If you let the resistor cool down (removing negative battery lead) and then hook battery back up, you can hear the solenoid engage as you depress the pedal. You can repeat this (cart in neutral) for about a minute until the resistor heats up then something happens and the solenoid won't "click".

After I removed the ground cable from the battery and let the resistor cool down, I reinstalled the ground cable and the cart would drive but only medium speed similar like the original issue. However, now when I put the rocker switch to Reverse, it also goes forward. Never had this issue in the past. The motor also heats up after a minute of driving to at least 100 degrees. If I remove all the leads to the motor, the resistor does not heat up at all. I reinstalled all the motor leads and the solenoid resistor heats back up, so I tried removing just the F2 lead. That stops the heating of the resistor. If i try to drive in forward with the F2 lead off, I hear the solenoid click and then can hear a low "growl" from the motor as if something is spinning, then within a second I hear the solenoid kick out. If I put the cart in reverse, I hear the same growl and something turning inside the motor and it does this for at least 3 seconds, the cart slightly tries to move rearward then the solenoid immediately kicks out. What would be "spinning" inside?

I jacked up one rear tire and with all leads removed from motor I put jumpers between A1 and F1 and A2 and F2. I then applied 8 volts from a battery to the A terminals. The tire rotated backwards at a pretty good speed. I swapped the negative and positive leads and the tire still rotated backwards. I removed all leads/jumpers and I checked for continuity between A1 and A2 and F1 and F2 and all checked good. I did not have continuity between any A to F or to ground. BTW with all leads removed from the motor, I checked them for voltage with cart switch on and in run mode. A1=15v A2=0v F1=33v F2=15v.

I began to run a check on the speed sensor per the 2008 IQ plus Electric Vehicle Maintenance and Service Supplement Chaper 11. Checking the black/white lead on the 3 pin connector produced 50 volts which is within spec. I checked the red lead and that produced 0.7 volts Spec says 15-16 volts and anything below that you should replace the speed controller. But with so many odd things happening at once I don't know if that is a valid test. Other than purchasing another motor or controller what else can I do to start ruling out items? I have another cart but that is a 1999 with series motor and V-glide (not a resistor cart), but from what I read the motor and controller can't be used in my IQ cart. Thanks!
foodplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 CC motor and solenoid resistor hot

When it arc'd you grounded it and surged back to the controller blowing an FET. It is toast now and the resistor proves it as the controller is drawing power through it (at a high rate) when it should not and it is causing it to overheat.

Always, ALWAYS, place Run/Tow to "Tow" and remove the Main Pack Neg when working on or around the controller, motor and batteries.

You can get an Alltrax XCT 300 as a Plug&Play replacement https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-prec
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply NoleFan4Ever, So do you think the motor is ok? Before the grounding event(pretty sure I had it in Tow mode) the heating up of the motor and slowing down were happening. Is there any way to determine what those issues are or just replace the controller and then try to trouble-shoot them?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thinking about this problem there is only one way of preventing this. With the solenoid open the batteries are disconnected and foodplot claims the Run/Tow was in Tow. So the arc must have come from the energy that was stored in the controllers capacitors. The only way to truly be safe when working back there is to cover the nearby connections with electric tape or something?? I'm taking my own advice. I just ordered these from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-16-.../dp/B017DZQL9S

A little extra:
Quote:
heats up after a minute of driving to at least 100 degrees
100 degree isn't hot for a motor, even if you are talking celsius.

With a screen name like foodplot I gotta ask are you using this for a farm vehicle? That would heat it up.

Your motor sounded like it checks good.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodplot View Post
-snip-
just replace the controller and then try to trouble-shoot them?
Yes, like Walt stated, your checks make the motor appear to be ok, so I would get the controller and you will probably be fine.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks again guys for the responses. Yes WalterM6 I have a farm but only use this cart to run out to the turkey or deer blinds. Haven't even used it that much yet! Still curious about a few things: Why did the motor only run in one direction when I "bench tested" it and swapped the Neg and Pos leads? What was the noise I heard in the motor as if something was rotating?
Old 08-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Swap the F1 & F2's around to change the polarity through the motor. It will then run the opposite direction.

You only applied 8v's to a 48v motor, so it will not sound or operate as you are used to seeing/hearing. Nothing wrong if you want to pull the motor off and inspect it. The test only shows it is not inoperable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car