lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
timquagliata
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 Starter Issues

I having some starter issues and I hoping y'all can help.

A couple of days ago I went to fire up the old G2 and absolutely nothing happened. So I gave the solenoid a thump with my screwdriver and got it going. It worked a couple more times then it stopped again. So I went ahead and ordered a new one and installed it. The solenoid seems to be working fine now but the starter is very sluggish and often need a thump from the old screwdriver as well. So I decided to take it apart and check the brushes. All four brushes are good so I dusted off the carbon dust and put her back together. I hit the gas pedal and it started right up and then immediately died on me. The thing is trying to turn over, but just not quite getting there. Then I noticed some sparking coming from the carburetor and from the oil dipstick where it rests against the motor. Any idea what's going on here?

Tim
timquagliata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Starter Issues

Check your grounds. These are notorious for grounding issues. I’d run at least an 8 awg wire from the engine directly to the negative battery terminal. Check your ground at the starter too.

Have you checked the battery? What’s the voltage? What’s the voltage while cranking?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
timquagliata
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The battery is new. Has about 13 volts. When cranking it bounces around, but never below 10 volts. Where do you recommend connecting a ground to the engine? Here is a video of it trying to start.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pC_iHQTVNIg
Old 07-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good video. Saves a lot of time not chasing a starter issue. That’s not a starter issue. Starter is working fine the engine just isn’t running

Start with the basics. Do you still have the cover over your fuel fill? If not, take the fuel line off the carb, put it in a mason jar, and spin the engine for a bit. Fill it about half way. Let it sit for 10 minutes and see how much water is in the tank. On these carts if you don’t have the cover, water fills on the cap and funnels in through the vent.

Give the carb a good cleaning. Make sure the airbox lid is PERFECTLY sealed and tight. Check the condition of the spark plug and adjust the valves. .004 intake and exhaust. Make sure you have a good bright blue spark too

See where that leaves you
Old 07-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
timquagliata
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, I do still have the fuel fill cover. I went ahead checked the fuel anyway, and it is good. Carb is nice and clean. Airbox is all sealed up. Spark plug checks out good. I started to check the valves and I noticed it was very hard to rotate the primary clutch. I would have to put a lot of force in certain spots of the rotation. It definitely doesn't feel right. Here's another video of me attempting to rotate the primary clutch.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4T96BPainPo
Old 07-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That’s the compression stroke. It’s normal (and good) for it to be hard to turn by hand through the compression stroke.

Try taking out the spark plug and turning it over. Should turn easily all the way through. And while the spark plug is out it’s worth doing a compression test just to verify. I’m sure it’s good watching you turn it over but I like numbers to quantify things instead of subjective “it’s hard to turn” type measurements.

While it’s turning over does choking it help? What does the spark plug look like? Also while the plug is out hold it against a valve cover bolt and spin the engine. The spark should be fat, blue, and consistent with every engine rotation.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
timquagliata
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You are correct. It is much easier to turn it over with the spark plug out. I am not sure how to do a compression test. I'm guessing I will need a compression test gauge. I can however give you another subjective measurement. I disconnected the airbox from the carb and put my hand over the opening while trying to start and I got a strong vacuum on my hand.

I am still getting arcing from the oil dipstick leaning against the carb. Every time it touches it arcs and the motor surges a bit. Below are a couple links to videos showing the spark plug spark and the dipstick/carb spark.

Choking it may have helped a little. The same sputtering, just a little more violent.

It there any chance that the cheap Amazon solenoid I installed could be causing any of these issues?

https://youtube.com/shorts/L84Y00aNEeg

https://youtube.com/shorts/doAUyELLfYc
Old 07-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah that spark between the dipstick and the engine is no bueno. I’d start by running a ground wire from the engine to the negative battery post. Any accessible bolt that goes into the engine will work.

For testing you could even use one side of a jumper cable from your car to clamp on the engine and negative battery terminal.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

One other Idea would be to do a proper ground and see if the engine will run on staring fluid
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
timquagliata
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I ran a 6 AWG ground wire from the engine to the negative battery post. The cart did not start up, but it did produce different results. The cart didn't even try to turn over. Instead I heard a high pitched whining sound which sounded like it was coming from the starter generator location and after a couple of seconds smoke was coming out of that location too. Needless to say, I quickly shut her down. After I shut it down, I felt around to see what was hot. The wire and connections that goes from the side of the starter to the end of the starter (See Image) were pretty darn hot.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha