lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Help me pick trojan vs crown 8v batts

which one should I buy... looking at Trojan t-875 or crown cr165. 8volts
help me pick.
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help me pick trojan vs crown 8v batts

T-875 is a 170AH 8V battery.
CR-165 is a 165AH 8V battery.

Either will give the roughly the same run-time as a 36V-225AH battery pack.

Both are quality batteries.

Go for the one the lower total cost sitting in your cart.

Also, check the prices for T-890 and CR-190. Those are 190AH 8V batteries and will give you longer run-time as well as a longer lifespan.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks johnnieb I was waiting for your professional opinion
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

one more question...
I currently have a 36v battery life saver. I went ahead and got a new DPI 48v charger for the batteries. will I need a new 48bls or will the DPI pretty much take the place of a BLS?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

They go about the same problem from different angles, that problem being Crystalline Lead Sulfate.

Lead Sulfate is created when a lead acid battery discharges, but there are two forms of it. The amorphous (soft) type reverts back to the original chemistry (Lead, Lead Dioxide and Sulfuric Acid) with relative ease when the battery is recharged. In fact, that is why a Lead-Acid battery is rechargeable, however, once Lead Sulfate forms, it begins to crystallize and Crystalline (hard) Lead Sulfate doesn't break down to the original as easily.

Allowing a battery to sit in a partially discharged state allows the Lead Sulfate that exists because the battery is not fully charged, to crystallize.

The DPI charger uses float charging to keep the battery fully charged between discharges, so very little Amorphous Lead Sulfate exists except when battery is in use, but some Crystalline Lead Sulfate can, and does, form while the battery is in use.

The BLS module uses high energy pulses to break down the Crystalline Lead Sulfate that has formed.

Basically the DPI float charging is a preventative measure and the BLS module attacks the problem after the fact.

The BLS module is powered by the battery pack, so it will discharge the pack and using it in conjunction with float charging would solve that issue.

I'm not sure if the BLS system does what the manufacture claims it will do, but if it does, the combination of a DPI charger and a BLS module sounds like an excellent way to minimize battery aging.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO