lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Fordtruck661
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent Club Car Buzzing and Hot Resistor

Hi All,

I want to start off with saying I am new to golf carts so please take it easy on me.

So we have a 48v precedent club car at my work and I have been given the job to maintain it... So I wanted to top off the batteries with distilled water (has never been done) but they were dirty and had some corrosion. So I put some backing soda water on then and lightly washed with a hose. I did this in tow mode and let everything dry before trying to turn it on.

Well when I put in run mode it started buzzing like it was in reverse but the key is off and it does this when in drive, neutral or reverse. And the cart will not move. To add to everything the resistor is super hot (I had to unplug it so it would not melt). I let it sit overnight hoping it would dry out but no luck.

So after lots of reading it looks like I might have fried the controller but I want someone else opinion before I have to break the bad news to the boss

Thanks to anyone that is able to help!!
Fordtruck661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Club Car Buzzing and Hot Resistor

Try using a leaf blower (or equivalent) on the Controller 16-pin connector first.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtruck661 View Post
Hi All,

I want to start off with saying I am new to golf carts so please take it easy on me.

So we have a 48v precedent club car at my work and I have been given the job to maintain it... So I wanted to top off the batteries with distilled water (has never been done) but they were dirty and had some corrosion. So I put some backing soda water on then and lightly washed with a hose. I did this in tow mode and let everything dry before trying to turn it on.

Well when I put in run mode it started buzzing like it was in reverse but the key is off and it does this when in drive, neutral or reverse. And the cart will not move. To add to everything the resistor is super hot (I had to unplug it so it would not melt). I let it sit overnight hoping it would dry out but no luck.

So after lots of reading it looks like I might have fried the controller but I want someone else opinion before I have to break the bad news to the boss

Thanks to anyone that is able to help!!

Generally when the resistor gets hot on the solenoid it means the solenoid is not working. All the current passes through the resistor instead of the solenoid when in drive or reverse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Fordtruck661
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Try using a leaf blower (or equivalent) on the Controller 16-pin connector first.
I will try this tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Fordtruck661
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
Generally when the resistor gets hot on the solenoid it means the solenoid is not working. All the current passes through the resistor instead of the solenoid when in drive or reverse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The resistor is heating up even in tow mode
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Either the controller or the motor is bad. Put vehicle in tow mode, disconnect the main positive and negative battery terminal. Get a multi meter and put it on Diode Test setting that will allow it to BEEP when you touch the two leads together. Disconnect all four wires from the motor. Do a continuity test between the A1 post and A2 post. You should get a beep. Do it again between the F1 and F2 posts. You should get another beep. Try it from A1 to the case of the motor. You should get no reaction out of the meter at all. Try it again from F1 to the motor case, again, no reaction from the meter. If your results are different from what I described, let me know. If your results match what I describe, replace the resistor (only because it's melted) and the controller. This will fix your issue. When the controller fails, it constantly draws power. When the solenoid is open (off) the power can not pass through the solenoid. Instead it passes through the resistor and causes it to get hot because the resistor can not handle this kind of amperage. Let me know what you find.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Fordtruck661
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Either the controller or the motor is bad. Put vehicle in tow mode, disconnect the main positive and negative battery terminal. Get a multi meter and put it on Diode Test setting that will allow it to BEEP when you touch the two leads together. Disconnect all four wires from the motor. Do a continuity test between the A1 post and A2 post. You should get a beep. Do it again between the F1 and F2 posts. You should get another beep. Try it from A1 to the case of the motor. You should get no reaction out of the meter at all. Try it again from F1 to the motor case, again, no reaction from the meter. If your results are different from what I described, let me know. If your results match what I describe, replace the resistor (only because it's melted) and the controller. This will fix your issue. When the controller fails, it constantly draws power. When the solenoid is open (off) the power can not pass through the solenoid. Instead it passes through the resistor and causes it to get hot because the resistor can not handle this kind of amperage. Let me know what you find.

After doing a continuity test, I did get a beep between the A1 post and A2 post and F1 and F2 posts. And no beep with A1 to the case of the motor or F1 to the motor case of the motor.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
After doing a continuity test, I did get a beep between the A1 post and A2 post and F1 and F2 posts. And no beep with A1 to the case of the motor or F1 to the motor case of the motor.

Motor is good. Controller is bad. Replace controller and resistor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Fordtruck661
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Motor is good. Controller is bad. Replace controller and resistor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any suggestions on a place to get one cheap?? I found a guy on ebay that will repair it if I send it to them for $125.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Any suggestions on a place to get one cheap?? I found a guy on ebay that will repair it if I send it to them for $125.
From a site sponsor........
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car