lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Tcolli2
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring 48V to 12V reducer for led lights with existing light kit

Sorry I'm new to this and this may have already been gone over but I don't know how to search. I am trying to install the voltage reducer that came with no manual. Most videos I saw had it hooking up to the last battery in the series. Reading different reviews I saw it was best to hook it up to the ignition switch. How do I do this? I see two small green and blue wires coming from the ignition. Do I just splice one of these wire to access the power? I don't really know anything about electrical connections so forgive my ignorance. Any help or direction would help. Also I'm asumming I can leave the old wiring harness in place and just hook up the new lights to that once the reducer is installed?
Tcolli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring 48V to 12V reducer for led lights with existing light kit

Check this out. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-reducer.html

A bigger more detailed one. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...cer-keyed.html

Here is one with lights. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ry-lights.html
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And to do a "good" search, click the Search link above, click Advanced Search, then type in your search criteria in the top left box (you can select either post or titles through the drop-down), then look down towards the right side middle and select "Electric Club Car" and then click search - Voila', you have what you want!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Tcolli2
Not Yet Wild

Ok I bought one of those cheap supernight reducers. It only has a red in and a yellow out wire with two black ground wires. What wire would I access power to in the bay?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

What year and style is your cart? Someone may have a schematic to help.

The red sounds like your 48v in and the yellow is your 12v out. (usually yellow is a trigger wire but not the case with yours) The red 48v can run to your pack main + where your red cable is currently hooked. Your black 48v ground can run back to your B- on the controller or your main pack - where your black cable is connected. If you do not have an OBC the B- is not as important. Then the 12v yellow and 12v black ground will run to your fuse panel or accessories.

Based on your year and style of cart, there may be a way to switch it but don't know what you have.....
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Tcolli2
Not Yet Wild

I have an 01 club cart DS. Wiring the reducer to the battery seems pretty straight forward. I just didn't want to risk reducing my battery life so that's why I am trying to wire to a switch... I appreciate the help
Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's a wiring diagram for that type of reducer. In this one I wire it by the ignition switch and also a toggle switch. That means that you can switch the reducer independently when the key switch is on but the reducer will always be off when the key switch is off (even if you've forgotten to turn the toggle switch off).
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
That means that you can switch the reducer independently when the key switch is on but the reducer will always be off when the key switch is off (even if you've forgotten to turn the toggle switch off).
Great idea!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

I am getting ready to dive into my 09' Precedent club car this weekend. the lights that were installed are not on a reducer, instead they wired them off two of the 6-8v batteries. I bought this reducer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

as well as this fuse block with Neg bus:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to take the lights off the 2 batteries and wire them using this reducer. I also plan on installing a 4-gang toggle switch and using one for the headlights. this panel will get power from the reducer/ fuse block. I believe the key will turn the power on/off to the reducer and all accessories even if I forget to flip the toggle switch back off. right now, as its wired, I can forget to turn off the headlights and they will stay on. am I not thinking about anything or everything?
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
I want to take the lights off the 2 batteries and wire them using this reducer. I also plan on installing a 4-gang toggle switch and using one for the headlights. this panel will get power from the reducer/ fuse block. I believe the key will turn the power on/off to the reducer and all accessories even if I forget to flip the toggle switch back off. right now, as its wired, I can forget to turn off the headlights and they will stay on. am I not thinking about anything or everything?
The way you describe it sounds good. The reducer you have bought has a "fifth" wire which will be the "trigger" wire (three wires in and two out). That is probably the yellow one. In my diagram above you will not need the relay (because the trigger and the in-built components do the same job).

Wire the trigger wire through your separate switch to the cold side of the on-off switch (i.e. the side that gets power only when the switch is on - should be the blue connector). This way both switches have to be on for your lights to work and if either switch is off, the lights (and the reducer) will be off.

The other two output (12V) connectors go to your fuse block and your lights connect to that. The inputs come from the battery pack (+ve from the first battery and -ve from the yellow bullet connector on the black wire behind the battery pack).
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car