lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
cobolnofun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery meter wiring to ignition switch

I just connected a voltage meter to my 1990 the other day and ended up using the blue wire on the key switch, and the positive terminal of the pack.

Originally (the first hour of install before getting the multi-meter out) i had blue wire and negative and the volt meter would only turn on with the key off and the cart in F or R.... it got weird.
cobolnofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just wired up a 48-12v reducer to run headlights and LEDs through. I wired the 12V to my ignition switch so reducer will only be Hot when key switch is on.
I also have my battery volt meter wired through the key switch for Same reason. I’m starting to think that my battery meter isn’t reading correctly now. It will now have a constant feed from the inverter coming through the ignition circuit when key is on... anyone have issues with that or know of a solution?
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: Battery meter wiring to ignition switch

I installed a 48-12v reducer in the last couple of days.
I was discussing the voltage reducer with Yawood and Mooncrater on the 'What did you do to your cart today' Thread.

I was in a hurry to use on the weekend so I wired the + and - leads from the battery through a connector to the battery bank terminals.

White connector 1702.jpg

I loaded the cart onto the trailer and lifted the seat to disconnect the 48V side of the reducer. The leads came out of the connector, touched each other and the spark that ensued blackened 4 fingers.

Melted connectors IMG_1703.jpg

I have a connector from an APC UPS battery that I am going to install.
The contacts are inside the molded case and there is no way for that to happen with this connector.

APC connector IMG_1704.jpg

When I was testing I noticed that there is no indication on the battery meter when the key is on and the Reducer is disconnected. When the reducer is connected the meter indicates a full charge. It made me pause and question how the meter is reading the battery bank voltage of 48volts when I connect the supposedly separate 12volt circuits?

The cart is on the charger right now so I'll have to wait to dig into the wiring.
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #14
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yawood posted a nice illustration for the voltage reducer wiring.

Voltage Reducer Wiring with 48v Toggle with diode medium.jpg

It doesn't show the volt meter but it does show a very good way to wire up a voltage reducer.

I already ordered the 48 Volt relay and dug up a switch.

I need to locate the 48 volt B- lead and a -48V from the wiring harness.
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I ended up just wiring the battery meter to constant as i like the idea of being able to see it on at anytime... however i did notice something else. Once i turn off cart roughly 15-20 seconds later i hear solenoid click twice... is that normal reduce to discharge and do that? I don’t want to overwork cart for no reason. When i ordered my auxiliary LEDs i ordered a wiring kit with inline fuse, switch, and inline relay. Is it possible the relay is affecting the flow somehow? Currently have a cheapo $30 reducer from Amazon. Any recommendations on if the apparent discharging is normal or not?
Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
Just wired up a 48-12v reducer to run headlights and LEDs through. I wired the 12V to my ignition switch so reducer will only be Hot when key switch is on.
I also have my battery volt meter wired through the key switch for Same reason. I’m starting to think that my battery meter isn’t reading correctly now. It will now have a constant feed from the inverter coming through the ignition circuit when key is on... anyone have issues with that or know of a solution?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you wired the 12V through the key switch. The key switch is 48V and is also not built to carry the sort of current that the reducer might pull (which could be as much as 30Amps if you have a 30A reducer and lots of accessories).

If you have a 5-wire reducer then the fifth wire is a "trigger" wire and can be connected to the key switch. However, if you have a 4-wire reducer then you should hook it up through a relay as per the diagram that Nickelpede posted. That way the key switch just turns on the relay (which only takes a small amount of current) and the relay switches the larger current for the reducer.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #17
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The diagram that Nickelpede posted uses a separate switch to allow you to have the key on but the reducer off if you want to. If you don't need the separate switch then use this diagram.

A good relay to use is the T9AP1D52-48 general purpose 48V relay (Mouser Electronics or elsewhere).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage Reducer Wiring no switch.jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I worded incorrectly. I wired the 12V + side to the key switch to kill power to accessories when not using cart. I’ve read that lots of people wire this way but it not sure how safe it is in long run. I have a cheap 4 wire 20a reducer. I May end up replacing the reducer with a nice 5 wire as i want to make sure and preserve cart electronics as best as possible.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

All i have running through it is the cart headlights, taillights, and 2 4inch LED lights. I don’t plan to have anything else ran through it.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #20
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
I worded incorrectly. I wired the 12V + side to the key switch to kill power to accessories when not using cart. I’ve read that lots of people wire this way but it not sure how safe it is in long run. I have a cheap 4 wire 20a reducer. I May end up replacing the reducer with a nice 5 wire as i want to make sure and preserve cart electronics as best as possible.
So you connected a 12 volt power source to 48 volts. Something is going to burn up.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car