lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #31
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Battery meter wiring to ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelpede View Post
I installed a 48-12v reducer in the last couple of days.
I was discussing the voltage reducer with Yawood and Mooncrater on the 'What did you do to your cart today' Thread.

I was in a hurry to use on the weekend so I wired the + and - leads from the battery through a connector to the battery bank terminals.

Attachment 194330

I loaded the cart onto the trailer and lifted the seat to disconnect the 48V side of the reducer. The leads came out of the connector, touched each other and the spark that ensued blackened 4 fingers.

Attachment 194331

I have a connector from an APC UPS battery that I am going to install.
The contacts are inside the molded case and there is no way for that to happen with this connector.

Attachment 194332

When I was testing I noticed that there is no indication on the battery meter when the key is on and the Reducer is disconnected. When the reducer is connected the meter indicates a full charge. It made me pause and question how the meter is reading the battery bank voltage of 48volts when I connect the supposedly separate 12volt circuits?

The cart is on the charger right now so I'll have to wait to dig into the wiring.
Read what yawood said in here. Goes for you too. You can't just haphazardly shove wires together. There is enough energy in there to weld a steel beam.,
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2019, 02:02 AM   #32
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

This is the point I knew I could no longer be of help to you. If you want to do it right post a thread in the Electric Club Car section and start from scratch. But, you threw my name (and yawood's) out there after your mess up. Do it right. I'm not wasting time and giving advice only to have you ruin the electronics in your cart. Or worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191105_015707608.jpg (840.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 AM   #33
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
I am sorry dad, i get excited sometimes!!

I ended up finding it, i blew the ignition fuse, tested it with new fuse and cart is fine.
Chunked the cheap reducer and immediately ordered a 30a reducer kit with fuse block and bus bar from Scotty B. Ordered new set of 4 gang rocker switches and will do correctly this time.... hopefully!!!
Good decision! I hope it all works out.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
This is the point I knew I could no longer be of help to you. If you want to do it right post a thread in the Electric Club Car section and start from scratch. But, you threw my name (and yawood's) out there after your mess up. Do it right. I'm not wasting time and giving advice only to have you ruin the electronics in your cart. Or worse.
I have to admit I did not express myself correctly.
I should have added that i did not follow Mooncarter or Yawood's advice and I j-rigged it for a weekend function.
Then I showed my F' up from not following your advice and also using cheap connectors.

I see that I can no longer go back an alter the post to correct the statements I made.
So Let me add this:

There's a s**tload of power in a Battery Bank, you can can get seriously injured! Becareful!

Mike
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #35
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelpede View Post
I didn't write my entry right.
I should have added that i did not follow Mooncarter or Yawood's advice and j-rigged it for a weekend function. Then I showed my F' up from not following your advice and also using cheap connectors.

I see that I can no longer go back an alter the post to correct the statements I made.

In so far as that I cannot correct my affront, I will no longer use your name, r comment, or respond on any of your posts if you desire.

Mike
It's all good Mike. Check your inbox.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #36
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the assistance guys, i do apologize for getting overzealous and ultimately not listening to the advice! Once Scotty B’s reducer kit comes in and i take time to hook it up correctly I’ll let you all know how happy i am that i did it the right way according to all the advice given!
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #37
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, i received my Scotty B 30amp reducer with Fuse box and buss bar. Followed directions and correctly wired and crimped everything together. So far everything works beautifully.
Bought a 4 gang switch and wired my headlights/tail lights to it as well as secondary small LED lights to it. Works great.
Only thing left to do is find a place to mount the 4 gang switch panel to. Think i may fab up a glove box door for the driver side and mount switch panel to the door.
I have the reducer secured in the glove box anyways as its rather large and i couldn't find a better place for it. My fuse panel and buss bar are mounted just in the inside of the cowl so everything is nearby.
Has anyone ever fabbed a glove box door. I've got a few tools and a bench grinder so i could make it look pretty smooth.
Thought of mounting the switch panel on the dash face next to ignition switch and FNR switch but is inst deep enough as the cup holders for the cart are right behind dash where i would mount.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #38
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
Well, i received my Scotty B 30amp reducer with Fuse box and buss bar. Followed directions and correctly wired and crimped everything together. So far everything works beautifully.
Bought a 4 gang switch and wired my headlights/tail lights to it as well as secondary small LED lights to it. Works great.
Only thing left to do is find a place to mount the 4 gang switch panel to. Think i may fab up a glove box door for the driver side and mount switch panel to the door.
I have the reducer secured in the glove box anyways as its rather large and i couldn't find a better place for it. My fuse panel and buss bar are mounted just in the inside of the cowl so everything is nearby.
Has anyone ever fabbed a glove box door. I've got a few tools and a bench grinder so i could make it look pretty smooth.
Thought of mounting the switch panel on the dash face next to ignition switch and FNR switch but is inst deep enough as the cup holders for the cart are right behind dash where i would mount.
Well done
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car