lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: How Do I Get This Club Car Steering Wheel Plate Off without Destroying It???

Well I tried two removal methods I found on YouTube and neither worked.

The first was the tie-straps-wrapped-around-the-puller method. All this did was twist up the plastic part of the wheel. This picture doesn't show the worst of it. It got to the point I was worried if the steering wheel would retain its shape.

After that I tried drilling and tapping two holes in the thick plastic hub area immediately surrounding the splines. Got two good sized bolts thread in nice and tight, and was feeling like this was going to work. Until the puller ripped the new threads right off one side as I cranked it down.

I ended up removing the plastic from the wheel (96% of the entire wheel), and cutting reliefs in the steel core hub in order to finally weaken it enough to pop it off the splines with a hammer/chisel.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: How Do I Get This Club Car Steering Wheel Plate Off without Destroying It???

Trashed steering wheel:

Most of you guys are going to laugh at me, because it's not like I bought a flashy new chrome-accented, wood-grained, carbon fiber steering wheel to replace this one. My cart is a 1990, and the steering wheel I just removed is a 1992-up DS steering wheel; however I just really like the old-school 1984-1991 stock three-spoke steering wheel which would have come on this cart when it was brand new!

So here's the finished product!

The next step is to paint the inner glove box area and seat backs tan/light brown!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post

I ended up removing the plastic from the wheel (96% of the entire wheel), and cutting reliefs in the steel core hub in order to finally weaken it enough to pop it off the splines with a hammer/chisel.
This is what I plan to do on mine when I get back to it. Gave up for awhile.
Ran into the same issue, nothing worked and I don't want to haul the cart to a dealer
for them to pull it with a specific puller.

This did not work as you said!
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...oval-pita.html
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

That is a good look.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car