lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
superfreaker
Not Yet Wild

Default One Wheel Lock Up on Braking

Hi All, I've been through a lot of the brake threads, but nothing exactly fits what I am seeing.

2015 Club Car Precedent

6" Lift kit installed with HD springs.
I removed one leaf for fitment.
Driver side brake cable was tight and caused lock up on driver side when braking hard.
Passenger side brake cable ordered and installed on driver side.
Brake pedal adjustment made after install removing slack from pedal.
Now, Passenger side locks up on hard braking.

Brakes should be self-adjusting I thought. Pressing pedal hard to floor doesn't make any sound.

Brakes work pretty well, but I'd prefer both sides to apply evenly.

Thank you!

Shannon
superfreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: One Wheel Lock Up on Braking

One side is always going to lockup before the other because of the spring loading. This causes it to try to swap ends. No anti lock golf cart brakes yet. The only solution is front and/or rear disc brakes. One emergency stop convinced me I needed them.

Quote:
Brakes should be self-adjusting
I believe the procedure for adjusting them is to drive in reverse for 50-100 feet with your foot on the brake.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look at Tahoe Dawgs thread above that is pinned. Should explain your issue. When lifted the stock cables aren’t long enough really. Thus causing lock up. You can adjust the breaks by taking off drum and rotating star gear....
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If the sliders are working freely on both wheels, and you have the same weight on each side they should catch evenly. To adjust the brakes just press the pedal a few times and they will adjust just fine. The pawl turns the star wheel each time you press the brakes until the brakes get tight enough to where the pawl does not retract far enough to catch another tooth. Then as the brakes wear the pawl will catch another tooth as needed to keep the brakes adjusted as long as everything is moving freely.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
bussaruss
Not Yet Wild

I’ve personally experienced the same before with a few carts and realized the only thing I need is the the brake cable made for a lifted cart. There is an oem brake cable for a lifted club car if you have a dealer near you. I would recommend putting your passenger cable back on pass side and getting correct cable and like the guys above said, the will eventually ware properly because they are self adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bussaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
superfreaker
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the late reply here. The email notifications were not working.

"One side is always going to lockup before the other because of the spring loading."

Interest, not sure if this is the case since one wheel locked before the longer cable, and the other locked after. The aftermarket lift kit and HD springs had centering posts/holes.

"When lifted the stock cables aren’t long enough really. Thus causing lock up."
The longer passenger cable was purchased and replaced the short driver cable.

"You can adjust the breaks by taking off drum and rotating star gear...."

I don't think this is the case on my 2015???? I thought they were auto adjusted.

"To adjust the brakes just press the pedal a few times and they will adjust just fine. The pawl turns the star wheel each time you press the brakes until the brakes get tight enough to where the pawl does not retract far enough to catch another tooth. Then as the brakes wear the pawl will catch another tooth as needed to keep the brakes adjusted as long as everything is moving freely."

Excellent info. I wonder if there is a minimum amount of pedal travel needed for this to work.

" There is an oem brake cable for a lifted club car if you have a dealer near you. I would recommend putting your passenger cable back on pass side and getting correct cable and like the guys above said, the will eventually ware properly because they are self adjusting. "

Interesting for sure. I have two passenger cables running now. I guess I could imagine a shorter cable (between the length of pass and driver) working???
superfreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the brake cable is not tight the extra length should not affect how it works.

Check the U-Bolts to make sure the axle is not "twisting" when You press the brake pedal, sometimes You can feel the brake pedal pulsating when that happens.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfreaker View Post
Sorry for the late reply here. The email notifications were not working.

"One side is always going to lockup before the other because of the spring loading."

Interest, not sure if this is the case since one wheel locked before the longer cable, and the other locked after. The aftermarket lift kit and HD springs had centering posts/holes.

"When lifted the stock cables aren’t long enough really. Thus causing lock up."
The longer passenger cable was purchased and replaced the short driver cable.

"You can adjust the breaks by taking off drum and rotating star gear...."

I don't think this is the case on my 2015???? I thought they were auto adjusted.

"To adjust the brakes just press the pedal a few times and they will adjust just fine. The pawl turns the star wheel each time you press the brakes until the brakes get tight enough to where the pawl does not retract far enough to catch another tooth. Then as the brakes wear the pawl will catch another tooth as needed to keep the brakes adjusted as long as everything is moving freely."

Excellent info. I wonder if there is a minimum amount of pedal travel needed for this to work.

" There is an oem brake cable for a lifted club car if you have a dealer near you. I would recommend putting your passenger cable back on pass side and getting correct cable and like the guys above said, the will eventually ware properly because they are self adjusting. "

Interesting for sure. I have two passenger cables running now. I guess I could imagine a shorter cable (between the length of pass and driver) working???
Yes you can adjust by removing or sliding drum off slightly and rotating star gear. The mechanism doesn’t always auto adjust. Especially if cables aren’t adjusted or pulling evenly on both drums.
Adjust your star gear. Add a longer cable on the drivers side. Or use Tahoe’s method of flipping the mechanism to hide the drooping not long enough cables.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car