lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Cart not charging question

I just bought a used 2006 DS Cart (48v) with a Powerdrive 3 charger included. Batteries on it are 2-4 months old (from date stamped on terminals). It had 51.3vdc across them when I bought the cart. When I got the cart home, I hooked up the charger to it, and charger did nothing. It's been a few days of driving and my voltage is 50.9vdc. Hooked up the charger, and still nothing. QUESTION: Does the battery have to be down to a certain voltage before the charger kicks in? The charger is good because I took it to a shop and I saw it work on one of their carts. Thanks.
Kookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 2006 Cart not charging question

JACK UP CART AND PLACE ON JACK STANDS FOR ANY TESTING
check water in batters if low do not fill unless water is below plates
reset the OBC

PLACE CART IN TOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27
All it takes for modern (IQ and beyond I believe) is that the main negative is removed for at least ten minutes.
after 10 min reconnect neg cable and put cart off tow ...plug cart in and if it starts changing then leave it on til it shuts off by it's self (up to 20 hrs)
after it charges check the waters and fill any that need it with distalled water only
if it does not start then the OBC is bad
{you already said charger was good}
let us know and we can go from there
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
ClubCarDSIQ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Maybe too obvious, but did you plug in the Charger's A/C cord before the DC plug in the cart? I have an 84' DS 36v toaster cart and just got a 2002 DSIQ. My usual practice of plugging in the 84's crowfoot D/C plug and then plugging in the old school 36V Lester charger and turning on the timer. When I tried plugging in 02' cart's DC and then plugging in the Powerdrive's A/C, I heard a faint hum but there was no charging taking place. When I reversed the order, I discovered that the charger won't start charging if you plug in the cart's D/C connection before having the charger plugged in. After that happened, I downloaded the charger's manual read that that is just the way it works. I guess it makes sense where a fleet would leave the chargers plugged in all the time and just plug the cart's D/C when the carts were put to bed at the end of the day.
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
I just bought a used 2006 DS Cart (48v) with a Powerdrive 3 charger included. Batteries on it are 2-4 months old (from date stamped on terminals). It had 51.3vdc across them when I bought the cart. When I got the cart home, I hooked up the charger to it, and charger did nothing. It's been a few days of driving and my voltage is 50.9vdc. Hooked up the charger, and still nothing. QUESTION: Does the battery have to be down to a certain voltage before the charger kicks in? The charger is good because I took it to a shop and I saw it work on one of their carts. Thanks.

Last edited by ClubCarDSIQ; 05-31-2018 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarity
ClubCarDSIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Once you tried what the others suggest, if you still have an issue, check the yellow bullet fuse holder that comes off the back of the charging receptacle and goes into the OBC harness. There is a 3/8 amp fuse that is for your sense wire and must work for the OBC to trigger the charger. Also check the main receptacle fuse that is inside the back of that same receptacle. (I use a continuity meter on it or you can remove it and do it)

If there are no problems there, it is time to bypass the OBC in case it has failed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check to make sure the red charge wire from the receptacle on the cart is connected to the pack positive #6 battery post that has the main cable going to the solenoid.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
JACK UP CART AND PLACE ON JACK STANDS FOR ANY TESTING
check water in batters if low do not fill unless water is below plates
reset the OBC

PLACE CART IN TOW

after 10 min reconnect neg cable and put cart off tow ...plug cart in and if it starts changing then leave it on til it shuts off by it's self (up to 20 hrs)
after it charges check the waters and fill any that need it with distalled water only
if it does not start then the OBC is bad
{you already said charger was good}
let us know and we can go from there
Water level on one battery was low (below plates). Filled with distilled water. Performed the OBC Reset procedures, as stated above. Plugged in charger. No joy. Bypassed the OBC by removing larger black wire between charger port and OBC and installing wire from charger port to NEG on battery. No joy. Metered out each wire from charger port to POS and NEG battery terminals and the smaller OBC wire (to the fuse) and all check good for continuity. Battery level still reads 50.9vdc. Cart still runs like a champ, just no charging indication on charger. Also, the orange light indicator on my dash is NOT on (probably a good sign, right?). Sorry Crash Test Dummy, I don't have the jackstands to jack this up off the ground. If necessary, I can pick some up at Harbor Freight.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCarDSIQ View Post
Maybe too obvious, but did you plug in the Charger's A/C cord before the DC plug in the cart? I have an 84' DS 36v toaster cart and just got a 2002 DSIQ. My usual practice of plugging in the 84's crowfoot D/C plug and then plugging in the old school 36V Lester charger and turning on the timer. When I tried plugging in 02' cart's DC and then plugging in the Powerdrive's A/C, I heard a faint hum but there was no charging taking place. When I reversed the order, I discovered that the charger won't start charging if you plug in the cart's D/C connection before having the charger plugged in. After that happened, I downloaded the charger's manual read that that is just the way it works. I guess it makes sense where a fleet would leave the chargers plugged in all the time and just plug the cart's D/C when the carts were put to bed at the end of the day.
Don
Hi Don, yes, I plugged in the charger first into my wall outlet, then connected it up to the cart's charger connector. I downloaded the manual for the charger as well and saw that procedure.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Once you tried what the others suggest, if you still have an issue, check the yellow bullet fuse holder that comes off the back of the charging receptacle and goes into the OBC harness. There is a 3/8 amp fuse that is for your sense wire and must work for the OBC to trigger the charger. Also check the main receptacle fuse that is inside the back of that same receptacle. (I use a continuity meter on it or you can remove it and do it)

If there are no problems there, it is time to bypass the OBC in case it has failed.
I metered out the fuses for the little wire to the OBC and the one behind the charge receptacle. Both good. Already tried the OBC bypass (hopefully I did it correctly).

Hunter450, I checked the RED wire from charge receptacle and it does go to the POS terminal which connects to solenoid.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
I metered out the fuses for the little wire to the OBC and the one behind the charge receptacle. Both good. Already tried the OBC bypass (hopefully I did it correctly).
Something is amiss.... If you bypassed the OBC, then the charger will run unless the main fuse behind the receptacle is bad (not allowing current to pass) OR the charger is bad.... (or a broken connection in your chargers pigtail or inside the receptacle)

Double check how you bypassed the OBC:
You bypass the OBC by running a 10g jumper from the back side of the charge receptacle (where the black 10g wire is that goes into the harness) and run it directly to the Main Pack Negative. Also take the grey sense wire coming off the same receptacle and land it to the same place. This will allow the charger to turn on "if" the OBC has failed. Note- This is only to test and not to make normal operation.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Something is amiss.... If you bypassed the OBC, then the charger will run unless the main fuse behind the receptacle is bad (not allowing current to pass) OR the charger is bad.... (or a broken connection in your chargers pigtail or inside the receptacle)

Double check how you bypassed the OBC:
You bypass the OBC by running a 10g jumper from the back side of the charge receptacle (where the black 10g wire is that goes into the harness) and run it directly to the Main Pack Negative. Also take the grey sense wire coming off the same receptacle and land it to the same place. This will allow the charger to turn on "if" the OBC has failed. Note- This is only to test and not to make normal operation.
Ok, sounds like I did my OBC bypass incorrectly. So, I am supposed to leave the original 10g black wire between the charger receptacle and OBC CONNECTED, and then just ADD a 10g jumper from the same connector at the receptacle directly to the Main Pack Negative? Also, I need to disconnect the grey sense wire from the charge receptacle and connect it to the Main Pack Negative? Does that sound correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car