lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car Silver Standard

Some folks have done it without taken the motor out of the rear end.

You need to get a screw the same type, 8/32 I think, but longer to "fish" the retainer plate and screw it until it is close enough to put the regular screw on the other side of the plate.

Using a flash light and a small Philips screw driver through the hole helps align the plate also.

Perhaps someone that has done it themselves will offer more tips.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #12
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I'll give this a try. Yes you start by putting cart in Tow Mode. Unhook main negative and positive battery cables. you have the rear cover off already. If you look there are three bolts on the left side holding the motor to the axle also there is one under the motor. Your post on the motor look like they may be rusted so spray something on them to help break them free, use two wrenches because if the studs turn they will pull loose inside the motor and you don't want that. Once the cables and bolts are off put a rope or strap around the motor to help hold it up while you pull and jiggle it off. Be ready for the weight of about 50 lbs. Let it down to the floor and slide it out from under the cart. I always do the removal from the top so the motor want fall onto me. Taking the basket off helps. You may have to jack the axle up a little to get the motor from under the cart if you let it down in front of the axle.

Hope this helps.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #13
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Mr. Golf and Sergio: I am a little confused here but that is on me. I am hoping when I am next to the GC some of that confusion will be cleared up.
Sergio, in fishing for the retainer plate, does the longer screw go through the same hole where I removed the screw? Your diagram indicates there are some other fishing holes there. And is the idea to align the screw with the hole where the previous screw went in, screw it in a little, and then pull the retainer flush so that the shorter screw will work? Or I am I trying to just lip the edge of the retainer and pull it back that way. Is this process necessary for both of the screws I took out of just the one?

Mr. Golf... I am a little concerned by this statement: "use two wrenches because if the studs turn they will pull loose inside the motor and you don't want that." I don't know exactly what you mean. I might know better when I get to where I am looking over it.
Pepe30269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #14
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe30269 View Post
Thanks Mr. Golf and Sergio: I am a little confused here but that is on me. I am hoping when I am next to the GC some of that confusion will be cleared up.
Sergio, in fishing for the retainer plate, does the longer screw go through the same hole where I removed the screw? Your diagram indicates there are some other fishing holes there. And is the idea to align the screw with the hole where the previous screw went in, screw it in a little, and then pull the retainer flush so that the shorter screw will work? Or I am I trying to just lip the edge of the retainer and pull it back that way. Is this process necessary for both of the screws I took out of just the one?

Mr. Golf... I am a little concerned by this statement: "use two wrenches because if the studs turn they will pull loose inside the motor and you don't want that." I don't know exactly what you mean. I might know better when I get to where I am looking over it.

The inside motor part of the studs have wires connected to them. Twisting the stud will break the wires loose. If that happens the motor will have to go to a motor shop to be repaired.

As for the screws if you can take a long screw and get it started in the retainer ring you can pull the ring up close so you can get the normal screw in the other side. Once that is done you can remove the long screw and put the other normal screw in. If you can do this you will not have to pull the motor or unhook the motor cables. You do need to put cart in Tow and unhook the batteries before you work on the cart.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #15
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Mr. Golf:

Your instructions were very good and I figured out what you were talking about on moving the studs/post - which could happen if the nut was rusted on and in attempting to loosen it, the whole stud was turned. That didn't happen but a post for one of the cables did break in half. I have enough to work with so not worried about that for the moment.
What I am worried about however is not being able to remove the motor now that all the bolts are out. I can move it in and around but the casing around it doesn't pull the motor but slides freely around it... perhaps due to me removing that screw?
See the picture below but even when I use all of the wiggle room and the casing is back against a brace as far as it will go, the motor will not free itself. I didn't pull out the hammer and the duct tape yet; I didn't want to start trying to pry it out. But with some effort including jacking it up and down to get different positions the motor will not come out? What do the experts suggest.

Thank you! Pepe Mike

P.S. Just for "what its worth" the only thing i racked my brain about was in removing that fourth bolt. None of the videos or instructions I've seen mention that the fourth hidden bolt is facing the other direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003 gc motor.jpg (325.6 KB, 0 views)
Pepe30269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You were not supposed to pull the Armature off the brush holder, the process without removing the motor is to loose the "end shield/plate" not separate the case from the armature.

You will need to remove or drop the axle off the cart in order to remove the Motor now.

You do not want to damage/bend those armature copper windings that are visible, the motor armature is balanced and it will be an issue once it is rotating at high speed.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #17
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Like Sergio said you will have to drop the axle now. Then the outer part of the motor will come off. Then hopefully the rest will come off then. You need to take the shocks loose, the brake cables will need to be taken loose.Put jack stands under the frame and you can let the axle down with your jack. I would try just the right side first. If you can get the case off then you should be able to get the rest. The bearing retainer screws is what held the motor case to the armature that is why the motor case is sliding off.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I think you'd have to be crazy to try getting the bearing retainer back in place with the motor in the cart. That's not even easy with the motor on a bench, much less sitting sideways in the cart.

Don't mess with brake cables. Jack the rear of the cart up by the rear support.
Remove the lower nuts on the shocks, then lower the cart back down so the wheels just touch the ground.
Remove only the two rear leaf spring bolts that go through the shackles. Lift the cart and the wheels stay on the ground and the cart will go up high enough for the motor case to clear the frame.

Once the case is off you should be able to more easily wiggle and pull the armature loose. If it doesn't come off easily then you're in for more of a ride.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not crazy, You just need a plan like David has done:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1304924
Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #20
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I think you'd have to be crazy to try getting the bearing retainer back in place with the motor in the cart. That's not even easy with the motor on a bench, much less sitting sideways in the cart.

Don't mess with brake cables. Jack the rear of the cart up by the rear support.
Remove the lower nuts on the shocks, then lower the cart back down so the wheels just touch the ground.
Remove only the two rear leaf spring bolts that go through the shackles. Lift the cart and the wheels stay on the ground and the cart will go up high enough for the motor case to clear the frame.

Once the case is off you should be able to more easily wiggle and pull the armature loose. If it doesn't come off easily then you're in for more of a ride.

Better instructions than mine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car