lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 PM   #41
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

Default Re: Battery watering system

I had the girls drive it for a couple hours. The voltages are 12.80 12.81 12.67 12.66
Total pack was 50.9

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Tireguy7606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

I plugged it up last night. Checked it at lunch today and it was charging at 6 amps again. Like it is trying to Equalize.

I'm sure it will turn off again after 16 hours. Should I check the water in all the cells again this evening?

Old 08-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #43
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy7606 View Post
I had the girls drive it for a couple hours. The voltages are 12.80 12.81 12.67 12.66
Total pack was 50.9

Were these voltages taken after riding for 2 hours and before you plugged the charger?

If so You have a very efficient system but I would still recommend after the 48v charger finishes to use a 12v charger and charge the two batteries with the lowest voltages individually.

You are cooking the two highest voltage batteries because the two other ones are at a lower State of Charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #44
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

Yes. It sat for 3 days unplugged and they rode it last night 'off and on' for a couple hours.

I'll try to find a 12 volt charger and get it done tonight.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #45
sahkanaga
Not Yet Wild

You can get one of these at auto parts stores. I have several which have been reliable for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Filler.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
sahkanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #46
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

OK so I disconnected the batteries, put in tow position and I am charging the two batteries that are a little low with a new battery charger I just bought. I'm planning on charging each of them until full then reconnecting.
Do I have to charge each battery individually each time I add water to a cell?
And do I have to disconnect the cables to charge individually?

Old 08-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #47
Tireguy7606
Getting Wild

The first battery I charged started at 16 amps and the digital display read 50 percent. About 4 hours later I checked it and it was charging at 2 amps and it showed charged to 75 percent. Seemed to be stuck there. I turned it off then back on and it immediately read 100 percent. The voltage was 13.9. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and equalize each battery just to have a good starting point. The charger has a 'recondition' button that said it could take 24 hours to do. And that it might take 2 or three times to fully recondition.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:43 AM   #48
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
They are all junk, as sooner or later something causes them to either over or under water the cells... You are much better off checking your batteries yourself once a month...
I agree right off as soon as I looked at mine after getting this cart. Not sure I'd say junk as for material quality but the whole idea seems stupid or better put not the right design to acheive what is wanted. Most of mine had one cell to the plates and the others real low from the former owner using this system. I'm pretty sure they leech into other cells or batteries too which is not good. Electrolyte and electrolyte levels are a precise science to me and no way I'll rely on something like that.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #49
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahkanaga View Post
You can get one of these at auto parts stores. I have several which have been reliable for years.
In my work I use a device which is simply a sealed container with a 1/2" tube coming out and it's amazing no matter how fast the liquid is coming out it completely stops as soon as the level you are filling into reaches the end of the tube. That's how those work and imo you need equal electrolyte levels for each cell. I'd like to have clear though so I can see the water.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #50
alchemy
Gone Wild

Cell voltages and specific gravity are based on how much dissolved substance there is (and the state of charge). Obviously if you dumped a cell out and replaced it with water you would have almost nothing. So you don't want to be removing a lot of liquid from the cells from chronic overfilling and removing. You can measure voltage loss in a cell you even removed just a little and replaced with pure water or higher voltage where you didn't add enough water. Just fill them evenly as possible and avoid filling one or more, more than the others.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car