lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

Default club car Ds 1991 arc at battery charger

Hi all new golf cart owner and newb to the forum. Im in a golf cart neighborhood and finally picked up one for what seemed to be a good price. Any way its a 91 DS from looking up the vin. My neighboor and I wired it back up and it was working just fine though the batteries were weak (I plan on replacing in the winter). Took a few hours to figure out as the guy hooked up one of the micro clickers on the vglide wrong. I ended up replacing the solenoid and the clicker before figuring it out. He included an EZGO total charger 3 with it..we took the prongs out of the end to the charger port and It charged it just fine for a few times. However the other night the fuse on the cart blew. I thought because i left it in forward and the key on when i went to plug it in. Well i ordered the fuse online and the correct ends for the EZGO charger to convert to a CC. Came two days ago and we replaced the fuse and i crimped on new ends to the charger. went to go charge it up and I'm getting Arcs at the charger input ends. I went back multiple times and made sure all of the wiring on the cart is correct. It is and I didnt change anything else. Also the terminal post on the charger are correct as it was set up the way it was last week when it actually charged the car. We can't figure it out, arcs to the point it wants to melt the prongs and still arcs when the charger itself is not plugged in. Im getting some kind of reverse polarity i guess. Ive been reading a lot on here and can't really find a thread on here that has had this happen. Thanks in advance.
bac0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: club car Ds 1991 arc at battery charger

About the only thing I can think of, specially with the charger unplug from AC power, is that you have the charger's plug or cart receptacle positive and negative wires reversed.

In that case the diodes inside the charger would provide a direct short when plugged to the cart.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
About the only thing I can think of, specially with the charger unplug from AC power, is that you have the charger's plug or cart receptacle positive and negative wires reversed.

In that case the diodes inside the charger would provide a direct short when plugged to the cart.

I thought i did that also and we tried flipping it and still the arc. Its just weird it worked like 4-5 times prior to this fuse blowing.. white pos black neg and it charged the cart well.... we also never touched the +/- wires on the actual cart.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

How are the batteries in the car itself? I've seen one or more go reverse polarity a few times, which causes arcing on the charger and a 'shocking' experience hooking up the mains. If you got a DVOM handy, try testing each individual battery and see if you get a reading like "-8.0" instead of "8.0" on one.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
hojolabo
Not Yet Wild

I to am new here but my ? to you is, why did you have to rewire it and you said one of the switches on the vglide was incorrectly wired.
Have you tried putting that back to the way it was and see what happens?
It definately seems like a reverse wiring/polarity to me with my little bit of experience. Try looking and analyzing your rewiring job it could be that you possibly missed something....its hapened to me.
Back to not seeing the forest for the trees.
Good luck and keep us posted on your find.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
hojolabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the cart side wiring and charger wiring are good (meaning not shorted or with reverse polarity, then you have a shorted diode in the charger.

A charger that is working properly and not plugged to AC power would have absolutely no impact on the cart, regardless if a battery is shorted or reversed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

ill snap a pic of the wiring shortly. the guy took apart a lot of the wiring and we matched it up to a diagram on here. the one micro clicker on the v drive piece was in the wrong spot originally. thanks everyone for chiming in ill look again shortly and post a few pics. I just got up from my overnight
Old 08-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

Can’t figure out how to post pics but looks wired correctly. Dcv I’m getting -36.0 when I plug into the charger.. also getting -6.0 on the batteries
Old 08-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

well new batteries today and still the same issue. I'm stumped
Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
bac0701
Not Yet Wild

theres no reason for the new batteries to instantly reverse polarity ? i can not figure this out. its all wired correctly. I did not charge them
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car