lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
eliw3
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger Comparison

Hello All, I'm still new and still learning. I purchased a cart about 4 months ago and all has been well so far. I have a 2014 club car precedent. The charger that came with it was the ERIC charger. Well it started giving me the red triangle. I tried resetting it, with no luck. I took the charger to three different cart shops around my area. They all hooked it up and told me it was dead. I asked one of these shops to order me a new charger. They ordered me a Lester Links series. Now, since I'm still learning, this charger looks old school compared to the ERIC charger. I don't know much about the lester and looking for advice. I read different things online and have a hard time determining advantages and disadvantages. What is everyone's thoughts here? I've posted a pic of the charges side by side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Charger.jpg (186.8 KB, 0 views)
eliw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
dionysis@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charger Comparison

When I bought my Club Car, the person had two carts. One used the ERIC and the other used the Lester. I got the cart home and couldn't charge my batteries at all. Took quite a bit of digging to find out that since my cart doesn't have an On-Board Computer (OBC) that the Lester will not work.

The ERIC charger is required for your car. I didn't think you could use the Lester Links. Have you plugged it in to try?
dionysis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

The eric and older style lester chargers are not interchangeable. You will need to stay with the ERIC style charger. The lester summit II should work just fine.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

As stated by the others, the shop ordered you the incorrect charger. ERIC is a HF smart charger and the Links is a transformer that is controlled by an OBC. The Links will not run on your cart and you do not want to adapt for sure. There were some ERIC's in the For Sale Section here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/

If you want to replace it with the BEST charger in the industry, here is the Lester Summit II https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...rger-13-18-amp and that is a step up from the ERIC/DeltaQ.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can NOT use that Links charger with your cart. The ERIC carts do not have the OBC which is required for using that type of charger. You need a high frequency smart charger.
Take it back. Cart shop should know better than that.

The Red Triangle can be several different things. When does the Red come on? Before plugging into the cart, or after?
If you plug the charger into AC power Only, it should illuminate all or some of the lights, and then after a few seconds the Blue status light should come on and stay lit.

Then plug the DC Charge cord into the receptacle on the cart. Is this when the red light comes on? A poor connection or low voltage could possibly trigger the red light, and will also cause the same problem with a new charger, so its a good idea to make sure all of the battery cable connections are clean and tight. The pins on the charge cords and in the receptacle are clean. And the charge leads from the receptacle to where they attach at the battery and the controller are clean and tight. You should also verify that pack voltage is Present at the receptacle on the cart, and is reaching the charger.

It is likely the charger has an internal problem, but it is a good idea to check All the connections for the Cords On the charger. Also check the cords for damaged wiring or internal shorts by removing the cords from the charger checking each wire for continuity, and making sure none have continuity to each other.

If you do end up needing a replacement charger, the Lester Summit II is the way to go.
Assuming your current DC charge cord is not damaged or shorted internally, you can re-use that cord on any new charger with little or no modification.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Are you guys sure that Lester Links charger doesn't have an internal timer? I've never used them, but I know for a fact that the Lester Links charger for OBC-Style replacement chargers is identical to a PD3 with different stickers on it. That one has a black case, so it's obviously something different. I know they make a black-case 48V charger with an SB50 plug that uses a timer in the charger. Not sure if they make one with a PowerDrive 3-pin plug on it, but it's possible. To the original poster, can we get some model numbers for that charger?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Good info David!
Wasn't ware of that, but it does appear that Lester makes a Links version with internal SCR, and it is available with the Club Car 3-pin plug.

A model number off that charger would certainly verify if that one will work.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
eliw3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. When I plugged my cart in to the Lester yesterday, it gave me 3 beeps as the ERIC charger did and it appeared to be charging. The cart store advised me that the charger would kick off once charging was complete, but would not kick back on if the batteries lost charge.

My ERIC charger would light up blue when plugged into AC. Once I plugged in the cart, it would take a few seconds and turn red. I read the owners manual on the charger and it advised how to do a restart. I tried that numerous times with no luck.

I'll get the model number off of my Lester charger when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks for the replies. Y'all kind of got me worried though! haha!
eliw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I always thought there were two different Lester Links chargers- a “powerdrive replacement” which he doesn’t have in the picture, and a stand-alone version. I could be wrong though.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the cart beeped and the amp gauge went up to 15 or so then it was definitely charging, and that charger has the proper regulator inside that it will determine when to shut off on its own. So it is fine to use. Might not be quite as good as a smart charger, but golf carts have been charging just fine on similar style chargers for many years and that one should perform just fine and serve you well for a very long time. Lester has made their name on rock solid chargers that last, and even if one of the components inside fails most of that charger can be replaced easily and for less expense than buying a new charger.

I would save the cords from the ERIC charger, chuck the rest in the scrap pile. Unfortunate that one had to take the dirt nap, but other Delta-Q chargers haven’t exactly proven themselves when it comes to long-term reliability.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car