lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
alchemy
Gone Wild

Default Can I switch tow/run with the key switch?

Apparently these carts with OBC (2013 carryall 6 with regen) continually draw power for various things and I suppose that's why they want the charger on it all the time. Because of that maybe not so many have observed the draw? I think it's something like .5v over 4 days just sitting. If the FNR is left in D or R it draws more and when the key is on it draws a lot more. I also found that with it in tow it draws less. I want this thing off when I want it off, when I turn the key off. Does the tow switch act as a main battery switch (through a solenoid)? The wires don't look very big on it and I'd like to switch tow/run with the key if that's possible.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Can I switch tow/run with the key switch?

Your key switch gets its power from the Run/Tow switch.... As does your OBC, Fwd/Rev switch, etc.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
alchemy
Gone Wild

TY nole! As simple as that sounds I'm still trying to picture it :) Old age factor probably.
I guess if I instead just did away with the key switch and joined the wires and used the tow run switch on the dash, or something like that. I suppose I could figure it out after now knowing I had the idea backwards.
Will it hurt just turning the cart on and off with the tow /run in place of a key or just using the key switch for it?
Old 09-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You need that key switch in line.

You can turn the Run/Tow off anytime you like when not in use. The charger will still operate.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

You could probably do it with a relay and a push button push button would latch the relay and the key switch would switch the negative of the relay
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
You could probably do it with a relay and a push button push button would latch the relay and the key switch would switch the negative of the relay
That's sort of what I was thinking of but only if the tow/run wires were too much for the key switch. At the very least it would be nice to have the tow/run switch on the dash.
I've however realized after I first got my first cart that the object has to remain to be able to just get on and go, otherwise it's getting to where a truck or 4 wheeler would be just as fast for getting around short places. I like the quick zip around factor :)

edit, I've saved pets from predators because of that, thwarted trespassers, met visitors trying to find me, and most of all the quick "just go" factor is great for going different places on the property constantly as I have to do for my business and hobbies. I also power my house with it during outages. It sure beats a noisy generator. It runs my PC, security system, and a light for many hours. That's been with my yamaha electric to this point. I even ran a machine with it during an outage that came at the worst possible time and I couldn't quit. I'd like to get my club car to start doing all that cause my yamaha is rotting to the ground. My gas yamaha is in decent shape and it's pretty zippy but it's unreliable, less traction, no pulling ability, can't use for the same stop and go, and of course it won't power my house
Old 09-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
greg-g
Gone Wild

This shouldn’t slow you down at all when you turn the key switch off it resets the relay then you immediately turn the key back on and leave it in the on position no power is going to the keyswitch at that time. When it’s time to go get them you just push the push button and go
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If its a personal cart, go for it, do your thing & enjoy, that's what part of the hobby is all about. Customize the cart to your needs. Just watch out for those gremlins, they have a habit of showing up more often on modified carts. A cart can burn up from shade tree electrical engineering.
However keeping your cart stock will maintain resale value & reduce any future repair time, as the mechanic is trying to understand your system.
If my math is right you can keep a 100 watt ac bulb lit for over a week off of a 48v dc cart, if i understand your edit comment
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
If its a personal cart, go for it, do your thing & enjoy, that's what part of the hobby is all about. Customize the cart to your needs. Just watch out for those gremlins, they have a habit of showing up more often on modified carts. A cart can burn up from shade tree electrical engineering.
However keeping your cart stock will maintain resale value & reduce any future repair time, as the mechanic is trying to understand your system.
If my math is right you can keep a 100 watt ac bulb lit for over a week off of a 48v dc cart, if i understand your edit comment
I think my converter says around 230 watts with all that stuff but it might be 300 something with the light on I forget. Regardless, I lose no convenience during an outage except coffee and hot food and I can watch ball games etc. Actually I have a 12V coffee maker I haven't tried yet. I think the longest outage so far using it was maybe 21 hrs, no problem.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The problem with running it off the keysw is with the sw off you lose your rollaway braking.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car