lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Onward basics - speed boost, controllers, etc...

Looking at new carts (RXV, Onward, S4, etc...) and one of the things keeping me from Club Car Onward is the apparent need for aftermarket parts to get the speed over 19.5 MPH.

Cart use is neighborhood (large one) transportation, all paved, flat terrain, but the TXT cart I've had for years manages 27 (modified with required 48v and controller etc... a number of years back) and I'd like to be able to stay at that speed or at least very close with a new cart.

The RXV is appealing since w/out changing parts I can manage this, though I like some of the aspects of the Onward.

So if 25-27 is the target real world speed, what would I need to do to a stock Onward (new one or recent model)?

I plan on having somewhat oversize (20.5 diameter?) tires / wheels, but would like to not have to lift the cart to do it - not sure how large diameter can go before required to lift the cart?

Any information would be appreciated!

PS - also would consider the lithium Onward, but don't know what kind of can of worms I'd be opening trying to speed one of those up to 25+? Probably a different scenario than the lead-acid regular version...
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
CoiloverCarts
Getting Wild

Default Re: Onward basics - speed boost, controllers, etc...

For a lead acid powered onward you can get a speed motor for around $400 that will have it doing 26-27. No other upgrades needed just a motor swap. And I have been in contact with Navitas and they are developing an ac controller upgrade for the lithium onwards that should be out in February/March.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
CoiloverCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiloverCarts View Post
For a lead acid powered onward you can get a speed motor for around $400 that will have it doing 26-27. No other upgrades needed just a motor swap. And I have been in contact with Navitas and they are developing an ac controller upgrade for the lithium onwards that should be out in February/March.

Great info - thank you!

Do you have a link or model for this motor, or are there a few different ones that would work?

Am very interested to learn more about this option.

Also, the upcoming Navitas controller for the lithium cart - is that designed for an otherwise stock cart, or would that AC controller need another motor, and would their controller somehow interface or "talk" to the BMS in the lithium pack?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

I also see some owners going with an Altrax XCT controller which apparently allows some control over speed / rpm settings and regen adjustment. Would be nice if this would allow more speed, but not sure that is the case with the stock motor?

Also would be nice to adjust parameters yourself w/out involving the dealer every time you wanted to try something.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
CoiloverCarts
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Great info - thank you!

Do you have a link or model for this motor, or are there a few different ones that would work?

Am very interested to learn more about this option.

Also, the upcoming Navitas controller for the lithium cart - is that designed for an otherwise stock cart, or would that AC controller need another motor, and would their controller somehow interface or "talk" to the BMS in the lithium pack?
So the lithium carts are all ac and there is not a controller or motor offered to speed them up. When navitas releases theirs it will be the only one out. PM me on the motor.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
CoiloverCarts
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I also see some owners going with an Altrax XCT controller which apparently allows some control over speed / rpm settings and regen adjustment. Would be nice if this would allow more speed, but not sure that is the case with the stock motor?

Also would be nice to adjust parameters yourself w/out involving the dealer every time you wanted to try something.
The controller will add speed as well as torque. It's a great option for the DC onwards but just more expensive than a motor. The controller will need upgraded cables and solenoid.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car